Business advice

What business advice and support is available in the East Riding?

The council offers support to any existing or prospective business operating in the East Riding. The type of advice given is tailored to the specific needs of the business and can be anything that the business needs to know.  Some typical subjects we speak to businesses about are:

  • how to start your business;
  • what kind of insurance your business needs;
  • what you need to do about tax and National Insurance (NI);
  • what financial records you need to keep;
  • how you go about employing people;
  • how do you find more customers;
  • how do you deal with suppliers.

Business advice is available in a variety of formats - at a drop-in Enterprise club, or at at a one to one session with a business adviser.

Top of page

How do I contact a business adviser?

You can contact a business advisor at the following locations via telephone, or use our online Business Centre Contact Form.

Bridlington Business Centre
Tel: (01262) 401399

Driffield Business Centre
Tel:  (01377) 240940

Market Weighton Business Centre
Tel: (01430) 803406

Beverley Business Centre
Tel: (01482) 880460

Brough Business Centre
Tel: (01482) 666624

Goole Business Centre (Carlisle House)
Tel: (01405) 767654

Top of page

Can someone come to see me?

Yes, we can visit existing businesses at their premises. Individuals who wish to consider self-employment need to telephone their local business centre and arrange a suitable time.

Top of page

Can I get a business grant?

Various incentives are available to encourage self-employment - please contact your local business centre to get up-to-date information and current availability.

Top of page

Can I get funding to take on staff?

Yes, there is some funding available to help you to recruit staff. This is called the Youth Contract. The Youth Contract was launched in April 2012 by the Government in response to the challenge of youth unemployment. For more information on the Youth Contract and help provided by the council to recruit staff please visit finding staff and apprentices.

Top of page

Are there funds available to businesses affected by the recent storms?

Yes, the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and NatWest Bank have announced the launch of a £250 million emergency fund to help UK businesses affected by the recent storms.

The fund and supplementary support package is available to all viable businesses adversely affected by adverse weather, not just existing NatWest and RBS customers. You can read more about the help available on the Finding a Grant web page.

Top of page

Is there any help for young entrepreneurs?

Yes, our business advisers can provide support to people of ages.

You can also visit your local Youth Enterprise Club or contact the Youth Enterprise Bank for more guidance:

Youth Enterprise Club and Youth Enterprise Bank (external website)

Top of page

Can I see the current council contracts?

Yes, the current council contracts are available to view on the YORtender secure website.

YORtender (external website)

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.