Accident investigation

How do I report an accident at work?

Employers, the self-employed and those in control of the premises must report specified workplace accidents and incidents.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website can provide more details.

Health and Safety Executive (external website)

Reporting a workplace accident or incident

All reports must be directed to the incident contact centre by either:

  • reporting by telephone: 0845 300 99 23

Out-of-hours contact details

The HSE and council enforcement officers are not an emergency service. You should, however, contact your enforcing authority out of hours in the following circumstances:

  • fatal accidents at work;
  • accidents where several workers have been seriously injured;
  • accidents resulting in serious injury to a member of the public;
  • accidents and incidents causing major disruption.

The HSE website provides information on how they can be contacted out of hours.

Health and Safety Executive (external website)

For out-of-hours contact for the council's health and safety duty officer, you can:

Telephone: (01482) 393939

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.