Smoking prohibition

How to complain about smoking in public places. 

How do I complain about smoking in public places?

Smoke-free premises

If they are totally or substantially enclosed, smoking is not allowed in all:

  • business premises
  • public places
  • common parts of multi-occupied premises.

There are certain exemptions to premises where people both live and work, for example, prisons, residential homes and hospices.

All these premises must display the appropriate signage.

Smoke-free vehicles

Smoking is also not allowed in all:

  • buses
  • trains
  • taxis and private hire vehicles
  • vehicles used at a workplace by more than one person.

All these vehicles must display the appropriate signage.

To make a complaint in relation to smoking in public places

Contact the health and safety duty officer by:

Email: health.safety@eastriding.gov.uk

Tel: (01482) 396096 (during normal working office hours) or contact the smoke-free compliance line on (0800) 5871667.

Last Updated: Tuesday, 16 October 2018