Explosive licences

How do I apply for an explosives licence?

You can apply by one of the following means:

  • You can apply using our online form:
Apply for an explosives licence online
  • you can complete the paper-based application form and send it back to us:
Explosives licence application form (pdf 98kb opens in new window)

You do not need to provide any other evidence in the form of documents or plans with the application but the application must be submitted together with the appropriate fee.


The Health and Safety Executive website  provides details of the current fees.

Health and Safety Executive - Explosive Fees (external website)

For further information

The HSE and Association of Petroleum and Explosives Administration websites provide additional guidance and information.

Health and Safety Executive - Explosives (external website)

Association of Petroleum and Explosives Administration (external website)

Top of page

Do I need a licence for the sale or storage of explosives or fireworks?

A licence is required if storing up to 2000kg of explosives.  

The types of products covered include:

  • blasting explosives;
  • ammunition and shooters' powders;
  • black powder;
  • fireworks;
  • marine flares.

Certain quantities of explosive can be kept for short periods of time and/or limited quantities, without the need for a licence.

If you are selling fireworks from any premises then you are storing them prior to sale and must be licensed.

For further information

The HSE and Association of Petroleum and Explosives Administration websites provide additional information.

Health and Safety Executive (external website)

Association of Petroleum and Explosives Administration (external website)

or alternatively contact the health and safety duty officer.

Top of page

When do I make an application?

You must make your application prior to storing explosives (explosives do include fireworks). The licensing requirements vary according to type and quantity stored.

To confirm whether you need licensing, contact the health and safety duty officer to talk through the type and quantities of explosives you wish to store.

Top of page

How long will it take to process an application?

We will consider the application before issuing, renewing, modifying or transferring a licence.

We may have to conduct site visits and require the production of other documentation to ensure that statutory requirements are being met.

Once we have received your application together with the correct fee and we are satisfied that the premises meets statutory requirements, we will agree to issue, renew or modify the licence.

We aim to process your application as soon as possible.

There is no statutory period for determining applications, however we aim to determine applications within 28 days.

If I do not hear from you for 28 days, can I assume it has been granted ("tacit consent")?

No, tacit consent will not apply. This is because it is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Will my premises be inspected or assessed?

Yes, for new applications or as regards material changes to existing licences. The premises will be inspected and assessed as part of the application process.

Are there any conditions to the licence or registration?

For all licences the type and quantity of explosive to be stored will be named.

More detailed conditions appertaining to the site can be attached. A copy of all applicable conditions will be sent with the licence.

Top of page

If my application is refused how do I appeal?

If your application is refused, contact the health and safety duty officer and we will discuss your application with you.

If you are refused a licence or registration by the council you can appeal to the secretary of state under Section 44 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Top of page

How long does the licence last and what is the renewal procedure?

The registration or licence has to be renewed annually. A minimum of 28 days before it lapses we will send you a renewal application form.

This should be completed and returned, along with the appropriate fee, to us.

Top of page

How do I tell you about any change that affects my licence?

You will need to formally notify us well in advance of the proposed changes in order that we can consider a variation to the licence is required. There is no fee associated with this.

To notify you need to contact the health and safety duty officer.

Top of page

How can I transfer a licence to another person once it has been issued?

To apply contact the health and safety duty officer in writing.

Top of page

Who do I contact?

To find out more, contact the health and safety duty officer;

Email: health.safety@eastriding.gov.uk

Telephone: (01482) 396096

Health and Safety and Animal Health Manager
Housing and Public Protection
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
HU17 9BA

Making a complaint

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your application.

Please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure.

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.