Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Approved premises for ceremonies - licences

What sort of premises can become licensed to host civil ceremonies?

Commercial venues such as hotels, stately homes, clubs and other similar premises may be licensed to host civil ceremonies. This would be subject to meeting certain criteria including those relating to Fire Safety, Planning and Building Control.

The premises MUST be a permanent immovable structure comprising of at least one room, or any boat or other vessel, which is permanently moored. We cannot perform the legal parts of a marriage or civil partnership outside, in a tent, marquee or other temporary structure, however, we may be able carry out the legalities inside the premises and hold the celebratory ceremony outside.

Premises must not have any religious connection and must have the relevant planning permissions to host civil ceremonies.

Top of page

What sort of ceremonies could be held on the premises if we had a licence?

The ceremonies would include marriage, civil partnership, naming, renewal of vows,

Top of page

How do I obtain a licence to host civil ceremonies?

An application may be made by the owner, proprietor, manager or a trustee of a suitable venue. The superintendent registrar or their deputy will pay an informal visit to you to assess the premises for suitability, talk about the services we offer and answer any questions that you may have.

Top of page

Would a very small hotel be considered as suitable?

Some of our ceremony venues are quite small but, offer a very professional, personal service for small parties of people. Providing that your building can meet the necessary conditions there should be no problem.

Top of page

What is the necessary criteria for becoming an approved premises?

The grant of approval (the licence) is granted subject to certain legal and local conditions being met, including health and safety, satisfactory fire risk assessments, relevant planning permissions if necessary and accessibility.

Top of page

How long does it take to issue a licence?

From receipt of a completed application form to approval can take up to 3 months.

You can apply for a licence for approved premises for civil marriages and civil partnerships online (opens in new window). 

Top of page

What happens after I have submitted my application?

Once you have sent a completed application form, together with supporting documentation and the fee to the register office an advertisement will appear within a local newspaper seeking any public objections to the application. If no objections have been lodged within a set period of time a final inspection of the premises will take place. If all conditions have been met the approval will be granted and a licence will be issued.

Top of page

How long will the licence be valid for?

A licence will be valid for 3 years, providing that all licence conditions are complied with throughout that period.

Top of page

What if the licence conditions are not complied with?

The council reserves the right to withdraw a licence if conditions are not complied with at any time during the period, however, this would be a last resort and we will work with you to resolve any issues.

Top of page

What if there are changes to the venue?

The licence may be transferred between new owners or managers, but is NOT transferable between venues/premises. Any changes to the premises/rooms or additions of new rooms will require a new licence. Let us know immediately of any changes by:


Telephone: (01482) 393600

East Riding Registration and Celebratory Services

The Register Office
Walkergate House
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BP

Top of page

What happens at the end of the three year licence period?

We will contact you about 12 months before the licence expires and start the process for a renewal. You must tell us at any time whether you want to renew or not. There are extra fees if this process is delayed.

Top of page

Is there a list of licensed venues in East Riding of Yorkshire?

List of premises approved by the council
Premise details
Expiry date of licence
Website link

Barmby Field Barns
Keldfieldspring Lane
Barmby Moor
YO42 4HP

(01759) 304997

1 October 2017  

Beverley Arms Hotel
North Bar Within
HU17 8DD

(01482) 869241

30 January 2018

Beverley Race Company Ltd The Racecourse
York Road
HU17 8QZ

(01482) 867488

20 February 2019 The Beverley Race Company - Ceremonies (external website)

Bishop Burton College
York Road
Bishop Burton
HU17 8QG

(01964) 553000

12 June 2018 Bishop Burton College - Ceremonies (external website)

Boothferry Golf Club Spaldington Lane
DN14 7NG

(01430) 430364


6 July 2018

Boothferry Golf Club - Ceremonies (external website)

Bridlington Golf Club
Belvedere Road
YO15 3NA

(01262) 606367

16 November 2017


Burnby Hall
Burnby Hall
Pocklington Y042 2QQ

(01482) 393574

1 July 2017 Burnby Hall - Ceremonies (external website)

Cave Castle Hotel and Country Club South Cave
HU15 2EU

(01430) 422245

20 March 2019

Cave Castle Hotel and Country Club -Ceremonies(external website)

Clapham Holme Farm
Hull Road
Great Hatfield
HU11 4UX

(01964) 533665


10 July 2019  

Driffield Showground Kelleythorpe
YO25 9DN

(01377) 257494

18 October 2018

Dunedin Country House
40 Westgate
HU12 0NB

(01964) 630634

4 October 2019  Dunedin Country House- Ceremonies (external website)

Hallmark Hotel
Ferriby High Road
North Ferriby
HU14 3LG

(01482) 645212

18 July 2019 Hallmark Hotel - Ceremonies (external website) 

Lazaat Restaurant Bar Hotel
Wood Hill Way
HU16 5SX

(01482) 847900

27 March 2019
Lazaat Restaurant Bar Hotel - Ceremonies (external website) 

Lowther Hotel
Aire Street
DN14 5QW

(01405) 767999

25 July 2019 Lowther Hotel - Ceremonies (external website)

Grange Park Lane
HU10 6EA

(01482) 656488

18 July 2019
Mercure - Ceremonies (external website) 

Mill House Restaurant
Beverley Road
HU16 5TF

(01482) 845610

30 March 2018

Mill House Restaurant - Ceremonies (external website) 

Rotsea Carr Farm
YO25 9QG

(01262) 488035

9 July 2018 Oaklands - (external website)

Rise Hall
HU11 5BL

(01964) 564096

14 June 2019 Rise Hall - Ceremonies (external website) 

Rudstone Walk
South Cave
HU15 2AH

(01430) 422230

26 August 2018 Rudstone Walk - Weddings (external website) 

Saltmarshe Hall
DN14 7RX

(01430) 434920

9 September 2019
Saltmarshe Hall - Ceremonies (external website)

Sewerby Hall and Gardens Church Lane
Y015 1EA

(01262) 677874

28 April 2018 Sewerby Hall & Gardens - Ceremonies (external website)

Sledmere House
Y025 0XG

(01377) 236637

5 March 2018 Sledmere House - Ceremonies (external website)

Southern Holderness Resource Centre
29-31 Seaside Road
HU19 2DL

(01964) 615190

2 October 2018 Southern Holderness Resource Centre -Ceremonies (external website) 

The Bartholomew Suite Church Street
DN14 5BG

(01482) 393580

26 April 2018 The Bartholomew Suite - Ceremonies (external website)

The Baynard Suite
Council Offices
Market Green
HU16 5QG

(01482) 393565/6

4 October 2017  The Baynard Suite - Ceremonies (external website)

The Bell in Driffield
Market Place        
YO25 6AN
(01377) 256661 

2 February 2020  

The Blue Bell Hotel
Main Street
Burton Agnes
YO25 4NG

(01262) 490050

29 October 2018

The Country Park Inn
Cliff Road
Hessle Foreshore
HU13 0HB

(01482) 640526

26 September 2019 The Country Park Inn - Ceremonies  (external website) 

The Courtyard
Boothferry Road
DN14 6AE

(01405) 837100

4 October 2017 The Courtyard -Ceremonies (external website

The Expanse Hotel
North Marine Drive
Y015 2LS

(01262) 675347

18 May 2018 The Expanse Hotel (external website)

The Gardeners Country Inn
Hull Road
HU11 5AE

(01964) 562625

3 February 2020 The Gardners Country Inn - Ceremonies (external website) 

The KP
YO42 1UF

(01759) 303090

14 July 2017 Kilnwick Percy Golf Club - Ceremonies (external website)
The Oaks Golf Club and Spa

Aughton Common
YO42 4PW

(01757) 288577

26 August 2017 The Oaks Golf Club and Spa - Ceremonies (external website)

The Old Mill Hotel
Mill Lane

(01377) 267284

2 May 2018 The Old Mill Hotel - Ceremonies (external website)

The Rowley Manor Hotel
Little Weighton
HU20 3XR

(01482) 848248

23 July 2019 The Rowley Manor Hotel - Ceremonies(external website) 

The Bridlington Spa
South Marine Drive
YO15 3JH

(01262) 401400

30 October 2019  

The Town Hall
75a Newbegin
HU18 1PA

(01964) 532252

14 June 2018 The Town Hall Hornsea - Ceremonies (external website) 

The Triton Inn
Ellerker Road
HU15 1QE

(01482) 667261

16 June 2017 The Triton Inn - Ceremonies (external website)

Tickton Grange Hotel

(01964) 543666

26 July 2019 Tickton Grange Hotel - Ceremonies (external website) 

Town Hall
Quay Road
Y016 4LP

(01482) 393570

1 July 2017
Town Hall Bridlington- Ceremonies (external website)

Walkergate House
HU17 9BP

(01482) 393600

30 September 2017

Walkergate House - Ceremonies(external website)

Thwaite Hall
Thwaite Street
HU16 4RE

(01482)  465341

14 March 2019  

Willerby Manor Hotel
Well Lane
HU10 6ER

(01482) 652616

12 March 2020 Willerby Manor Hotel - Ceremonies (external website) 

Wrygarth Inn
Station Road
Great Hatfield
HU11 4UY

(01964) 533300

11 August 2018  


Top of page

What if the premises has an outside structure like a summer house or gazebo?

In certain circumstances it may be possible to include these on your licence, please check this when you apply. We may also be able to provide a civil celebratory ceremony outside such venues as long as the legalities are completed beforehand.

Top of page

How much does it cost to become licensed?

There is a fee of £1,700 for a 3 year licence, this is for an unlimited number of rooms within your venue. Premises that fail to renew their licence within 3 months of the 3 year expiry date lose the early payment discount and will be charged £1,850. The extra fee is to cover the additional advertising and administrative costs of dealing with late renewals.
Fees are reviewed in September and April each year.

Top of page

Will I receive some guidance?

We are always at the end of a telephone to offer help and advice and have also produced a guidance booklet for approved premises.

Approved Premises Guidance Booklet (pdf 294kb opens in new window)

Top of page

Who do I contact to enquire about becoming licensed?

Please contact the superintendent registrar by:


Telephone: (01482) 393600

The Register Office
Walkergate House
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BP.

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.