Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Members of European Parliament (MEPs)

What is the role of a Member of European Parliament (MEP)?

MEPs are your representatives in the European Union. Their job is to represent your interests and those of your city or region in Europe. Where necessary, they question and lobby the Commission and the Council of Ministers.

Above all, MEPs pass laws that affect many aspects of our lives, for example:

  • how many hours employees throughout the EU can be required to work and how much rest and holiday they must be given,
  • which pesticides are safe to use on the food grown in the EU,
  • how much you pay for mobile phone calls when you go to another EU country,
  • making it easier to study at a university in another EU country.

MEPs also have an important role to play on the big issues of our times such as climate change, human rights in the world and the way in which we regulate our financial markets.

Top of page

Who is my Member of European Parliament (MEP) and how do I contact them?

There are 72 UK MEPs elected to the European Parliament. The UK is divided into twelve electoral regions made up of the nations and regions of the UK. Each region has between three and ten MEPs and each MEP in a region represents each person living there. The region which covers East Riding of Yorkshire is the Yorkshire and Humber region which has six MEPs:

  • Jane Maria Collins - UK Independence Party (UKIP)

  • Linda McAvan - Labour Party

  • Timothy John Robert Kirkhope - Conservative Party

  • Amjad Mahmood Bashir - UK Independence Party (UKIP)

  • Richard Corbett - Labour Party

  • Mike Hookem - UK Independence Party (UKIP)


To contact your local MEP or for more information please visit the website below:

European Parliament Information Office website (external website - opens in new window)

Top of page

Where can I find more information or make a complaint about Members of European Parliament (MEPs)?

For more information about Members of European Parliament or to make a complaint, please contact the European Parliament Information Office in the United Kingdom.

European Parliament Information Office (external link)

Europe House
32 Smith Square
Telephone: (020) 7227 4300


Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.