General privacy information

How do we use your information?

East Riding of Yorkshire Council collects and processes data, including personal data about its residents, to allow it to provide services effectively. Although the council is made up of many different departments, for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 it is only one organisation.

The council takes seriously its responsibilities to ensure that any personal data it collects and processes is done so in accordance with all relevant legislation and guidance. 

The council collects and processes personal data to enable it to provide services on behalf of residents of the East Riding of Yorkshire. These services include the following (this list is not exhaustive): 

  • education

  • social services

  • roads and transport

  • waste disposal

  • economic development

  • countywide planning and the environment

  • protecting the public

  • libraries

  • rubbish collection

  • environmental health

  • tourism

  • leisure and amenities

  • planning permission

  • housing-needs services

  • collection of council tax.

You have the right to request that East Riding of Yorkshire Council stop processing your personal data in relation to any council service. However, if this request is approved this may cause delays or prevent us delivering a service to you. Where possible we will seek to comply with your request but we may need to hold or process information in connection with one or more of the council’s legal functions.

You are also legally entitled to request access to any records held by the council about yourself, the council will seek to comply with your request but there may be some situations where it will not be able to do this in full, e.g. where information held was given in confidence. 

For more information about either requesting access to your personal data or to cease processing personal data visit data protection .

We will process your personal data for the following purposes:

  • For the purpose for which you provided the information, for example, processing a benefit claim

  • To allow the council to be able to communicate and provide services appropriate to your needs

  • Where the processing is necessary for the council’s enforcement functions

  • Where the processing is necessary for the prevention and/or detection of crime

  • Where you have consented to the processing

  • Where the processing is necessary to protect individuals from harm or injury

  • Where otherwise permitted under the Data Protection Act 1998, e.g. disclosure to comply with legal obligations

  • To monitor and improve performance in relation to those services and assist with planning of future service provision.

The council is improving its services to residents of the East Riding and is implementing a new customer records management system. This system known as Contact360 will allow customers self-serve access to a range of digital transactions via a single account and will automate processes seamlessly with a number of back-office ICT systems. 

Contact360 will provide the council with a single view of the customer and live intelligence to ensure service delivery and information is tailored, personalised, targeted and responsive to individual needs.

This may entail using information such as your name and address  across a number of council services to ensure our records are up to date. If we become aware of services that you are entitled to which may benefit you we may also contact you to make you aware they are available. If we ever want to market to you we will always seek your consent.

Where possible the council will use anonymised or pseudonymised data. This means personal identifiers such as name, address, date of birth, reference number are removed from a data source, the information can then be used for secondary purposes. This type of data can be used in a variety of ways including for planning and profiling, it can also be provided in response to requests made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or more widely published as part of a transparency agenda.

How do we protect your data?

We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personally identifiable customer information. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you. To the extent that sensitive personal data is processed about you, we will employ appropriate security measures given the nature of that data. However, you recognise that your use of the Internet and our website is entirely at your own risk. We have tried to create a secure and reliable website for our users. However, we have no responsibility or liability for the security of personal information transmitted via the Internet.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council utilise the latest in secure server technology to ensure that all personal and transactional information is protected to the highest standards. We never make your personal details available to companies outside East Riding of Yorkshire Council for marketing purposes, although our representatives may hold your data so that your details and/or order can be processed and/or account maintained. Whilst we make every effort to keep the information that you supply secure, please be aware that the Internet is not a fully secure medium. We use secure servers for sensitive information such as credit card numbers and this may in the future, be used for the capture of all personal information.

Where can I find more information?

If you need to contact the council about Data Protection you can use the contact details below:

Contact Details

Data Protection Coordinator 
East Riding of Yorkshire Council 
County Hall 
HU17 9BA 
or by email: 

Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

For more information about the Data Protection Act 1998 or if you are unhappy with how the council had used your information, you can report a concern on the ICO's Website:

Information Commissioner’s Office (external website).


As a registered Data Controller, East Riding of Yorkshire Council will only process your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. The council registration reference with the Information Commissioners Office is Z5968256.

How do our services use your information?

Details on how services use your information can be found under the service headings below and by following the links to the service specific privacy notices:

Youth Support Services:

for pupils aged 13 and over, schools are legally required to pass certain information to the provider of Youth Support Services in their area. This is the local authority support service for young people in England who are aged 13 to 19.

Education and training:

We hold information about young people living in our area, including about their education and training history. This is to support the provision of their education up to the age of 20 (and beyond this age for those with a special education need or disability).  Education institutions and other public bodies (including the Department for Education (DfE), police, and probation and health services) may pass information to us to help us to do this. 

We also hold information about children aged 2, 3 and 4 yrs old in connection with their entitlement for and take up of free early education and childcare funding. We check parents' eligibility for this funding  through the national Eligibility Checking Service (ECS), where relevant based on information they provide, and pass this on to the parent's childcare provider to ensure the correct funding and level of service is delivered

We share some of the information we collect with the Department for Education (DfE) to enable them to; produce statistics, assess our performance, provide the necessary level of early years funding, determine the destinations of young people after they have left school or college and to evaluate Government funded programmes. 

We may also share information with post-16 education and training providers to secure appropriate support for them.  We may also share data with education establishments which shows what their pupils go on to do after the age of 16.  

Children in need or looked after:

We collect and process information about children in our care and children to whom we provide services to, support these children and monitor their progress, provide them with pastoral care; and assess the quality of our services. We will not give information about children in our care to anyone without relevant consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.

We are required, by law, to pass on some of this information to the Department for Education (DfE) which uses it to; develop national policies, manage local authority performance, administer and allocate funding and identify and encourage good practice.

Adult Services:

We collect and hold information about you so we can understand any needs you may have for personal care and support, provide you with advice, provide services or arrange for others to provide services to meet your needs and understand if you or others are at risk and take appropriate action.

We may not be able to help you or provide you with a service unless we have enough information, or in some cases have your permission to use your information. Many of our services are provided jointly with other organisations or provided by other organisations on our behalf. This means that we often need to share information in order to carry out assessments or arrange for services to be provided.

Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs):

use information for research and statistical purposes, to develop, monitor and evaluate the performance of local health services. These statistics will not identify individual pupils. CCGs may also provide LAs with aggregated health information which will not identify individual children. 

Public Health:

All Local Authorities have a duty to improve the health of the population they serve. To help with this, we use data and information from a range of sources to understand health, monitor mortality or care plans, plan, evaluate or monitor health and protect or improve public health.  To find out more view the Public Health Privacy Notice.

Last Updated: Tuesday, 22 May 2018