Building control

Drawing with scale ruler and pencil

Building control is primarily concerned with the health and safety of people in and around buildings, energy conservation, as well as access and facilities for building users - protecting the public by ensuring legal requirements for building design and construction are complied with. Builders and developers are required by the building regulations and the Building Act 1984 to obtain building control approval - an independent check that the building regulations have been complied with.

In this section...

Items in this section

Man wearing red hardhat

Building control

Explains what building control is and what the competent person scheme is.

Items in this section

Maps and plans

Building regulations

Explains what building regulations are and do they apply to conservatories or porches. Also provides information on building regulations for extensions, garage extensions, detached garages, loft conversions, internal alterations, replacement windows and doors, converting your house to an office or shop, installing fittings and appliances and the types of work that are exempt from building regulations.

Items in this section

Examples of forms

Building applications

Information about full plans and building notice applications, making a building control application, building regulations application cost, what a certificate of completion is and what a regularisation certificate is.

Items in this section

Crumbling brickwork

Dangerous buildings and structures

Explains what a dangerous building is, what makes them dangerous, how to report one, what to do if you own and what are the charges if you use this service.

Items in this section

JCB demolitions digger in a street


Explains what to do if you want to carry out demolition works, what does not require demolition notice, what are the requirements of demolition and is there a charge.

Items in this section


Party Wall Act

Explains what the Party Wall Act is.

Items in this section

Brick wall being built

LABC home warranty

Explains what the local authority building control (LABC) is.

Items in this section

Yellow hardhat

Health and Safety Executive

Information relating to the Health and Safety Executive.

Items in this section

Model house viewed through magnifying glass

Building control inspections

Explains when you can start building work, when are inspection visits and how to arrange an inspection.

Items in this section

People discussing documents

Additional services and specialist services

Information about additional specialist building control services, what a standard assessment procedure calculation is, energy performance certificates, display energy certificates, code for sustainable homes ratings and what air testing is.

Items in this section

Drawing, pencil sharpener, pencil and protractor

Approved documents and guidance notes

Explains what approved documents are, where you need means of escape windows, where you need safety glazing, smoke detectors, choosing a reputable contractor and how to remedy unauthorised building works.

Completion Certificates

From March 1st 2015, Building Control will be charging a £120 administration fee for Completion Certificates which are requested 5 years from our last recorded inspection of the application. Certificates will issued subject to compliance with the Building Regulations.

Contact Building Control

If you have any building control queries, or would like to discuss a project with us, please call our Building Control Helpline:

(01482) 393800 

Air Testing

Air testing equipment
Building Control offer a highly competitive air testing service.

Building Control Application Forms and Fee Guidance

View our new fee sheets and application forms that can be returned by post or email

Additional Services

Building control also offers the following specialist services:

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.