Dangerous buildings and structures

Explains what a dangerous building is, what makes them dangerous, how to report one, what to do if you own one, and what are the charges if you use this service.

What is a dangerous building or structure?

The term 'dangerous structure' covers buildings or parts of buildings. It also includes garden walls, fences or hoardings, in fact any built structure that because of its condition could endanger the public.

How do I report a dangerous building or structure?

You need to report the problem directly to building control either in person or by calling (01482) 393800 between 8am and 5pm weekdays or 07776 257157 at any other time.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council building control is here to help and ensure the safety of the public when a dangerous structure or building is identified. The council's building control officers can offer advice and guidance to property owners.

This service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Where necessary the council can require the owner of the dangerous structure to make it safe or, in an emergency, take direct action to remove the danger under powers contained in Sections 77 and 78 of The Building Act 1984.

If I own a dangerous building or structure, what will the building control officer do?

A building control officer will visit the site to inspect the structure and arrange for the appropriate action to be taken to maintain public safety.

If the structure is considered potentially dangerous, the owner of the building or structure will be contacted and asked to arrange for removal of it or for repairs to be carried out. A letter to confirm what action is needed and by when will be sent to you.

If the structure is considered to be in imminent danger of collapse or part has already collapsed, the building control officer will try to contact the owner of the building or structure to request their urgent action in removing the danger. If the owner is unavailable, unable or unwilling to arrange for the danger to be removed, the officer will arrange for the council's contractor to take the minimum action necessary to remove the danger. This action can often involve putting up barriers or fencing to keep people away from the dangerous area until a more permanent solution is found. All actions taken will be confirmed in writing and if available, the owner will be advised of the likely cost involved.

Where the danger is such that a building becomes uninhabitable we can arrange for a housing officer to contact you regarding temporary accommodation.

What charges will be made with this service?

No charge will be made for the advice or guidance given by the building control officer. However, where the council's contractor is used to deal with the danger, payment of their charges will be the responsibility of the owner of the building or structure.

Last Updated: Tuesday, 29 November 2016