New housing and self-build homes

Why do we need new housing?

It has been widely reported that Britain is facing a housing crisis. Almost all experts agree that the country needs more housing and the delivery of more housing is one of the Government's key priorities.

The need and demand for new housing are increasing as a result of a number of pressures. People are living longer, household sizes are getting smaller and there is a need to respond to migration, particularly domestic migration in respect of the East Riding.

Importantly, houses are expensive and the choices of high-quality homes are limited. On a simple measure of affordability, most parts of the country experience house prices well in excess of the ‘affordable’ ratio of 4:1, where local average house prices are four times local average income levels. The East Riding is no different, with the affordability ratio at around 6 or 7:1. At a very basic level, the Government considers that increasing the supply of housing is key to improving the affordability of housing.

Top of page

How much new housing do we need?

We need to provide around 1,400 new houses per year. This is the figure set out in the East Riding Local Plan Strategy Document.

Over the period of the plan, from 2012-2029, this amounts to a minimum requirement of 23,800 new houses. This number takes into consideration a wide range of factors, including population and household projections; affordable housing need; future job forecasts; and the East Riding's relationship to neighbouring areas such as Hull and York. Further details on how this requirement was identified are set out in the background papers of the examination library used for the Local Plan "examination" (see 'CD21: Background Paper - Housing Requirement' for example).

Top of page

Where will new housing go?

Most new housing will take place in the larger settlements of the East Riding. The table below is taken from the Strategy Document and sets out a minimum housing requirement on a settlement by settlement basis. 

Distribution of new houses
 Settlement  Number of new houses
Major Haltemprice Settlements
(Anlaby, Cottingham, Hessle, Kirk Ella, Willerby)
Elloughton cum Brough
Market Weighton
Rural Service Centres and Primary Villages (1)
Villages and the Countryside (2)

(1) A list of the Rural Service Centres and Primary Villages is set out in the Strategy Document. Each settlement has a specific housing requirement.

(2) A list of Villages is set out in Appendix B of the Strategy Document. No specific housing requirement is set out for each Village.

*Hedon's housing requirement is based on existing commitments and houses built at the start of the plan period. No additional requirement has been identified on the basis of current evidence about the risk of flooding and surface water issues.

For each of the settlements listed in the above table, a range of sites have been specifically identified for development. These are set out in the Allocations Document and illustrated on the Policies Map.  

To see if there are any planning applications for any of the sites, please visit our Public Access page.

Top of page

How is the council supporting new housing development?

The council supports new housing development in a number of ways. Firstly, in preparing the Local Plan it has identified a housing requirement and specific sites for housing development. This provides certainty for developers and local communities. Secondly, the council has been granting planning permission for new housing on these sites so that developments can get underway. Other proposals are also granted permission where they are in line with the policies of the Local Plan.

In addition, the council is working proactively with landowners and developers to support them in bringing sites forward. Specific actions include:

Top of page

What land is available for development?

The East Riding Local Plan includes over 200 allocations (sites) suitable for development, the majority of which are suitable for new housing. The sites are set out in the Allocations Document

The council has prepared a Housing Sites Prospectus that sets out details on thirty residential development sites across the East Riding. The sites are allocated in the East Riding Local Plan so the principle of housing development has already been established. We understand that these sites are still available for a house-builder to bring forward.

We have provided a description for each site and set out information that we think is useful to help make investment decisions. This includes setting out how big each site is, how many houses it could accommodate, any delivery considerations and contact details for the landowner or agent. We also include some important local information such as the average house price in the area and the performance of schools.

East Riding Housing Sites Prospectus - February 2017 (pdf 8.3mb opens in new window)

Each site in the Prospectus can also be viewed or downloaded individually from the table below.

How many new houses have been built?

The number of new homes built over the last ten years has fluctuated and largely reflects the poor economic conditions since 2008. The table below shows the number of net new homes built since 2005/06. A 'net' figure is the total amount of new/converted housing, minus existing housing lost to demolition or changes to other uses.

New houses built in the East Riding
 Year  Net houses built
2006/07  1,480
2007/08  1,717
2008/09  642
2009/10  414
2010/11  368
2011/12  889
2012/13  861
2013/14  779
2014/15  713
2015/16  842

Top of page

Is there any funding available to help build new homes?

Yes. The government has announced a £3bn funding programme called the Home Building Fund, which is available to housebuilders. The fund provides loan funding to private sector businesses that build new homes or prepare sites for housing developments. 

This includes small builders, community builders, custom builders and regeneration specialists, as well as larger builders and developers.

The fund can be used to help fund a range of things, such as:


  • helping to meet the development costs of building homes for sale or rent
  • site preparation and the infrastructure needed to enable housing to progress
  • to prepare land for development


This can support schemes from a minimum of 5 units, with a minimum investment of £250k and maximum investment of £250m and funding is available to be drawn down by 31 March 2021.

The Home Building Fund is managed by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) on behalf of the government. HCA is the national housing, land and regeneration agency in England.

More information on the Fund and access to the enquiry form, please use the link below:

Home Building Fund (external website)

Top of page

What is custom build and self-build housing?

The most common type of custom build housing is self build, which is where people design and build their own property on there own plot of land. Self builders often project manage the scheme themselves, however they can also employ professionals, such as architects or building contractors to deliver key stages.

Collective custom building is different to self-build, as groups of individuals work together to build a number of properties on a site which they then move into as a community.  Cohousing takes collective custom building a step further as it involves constituting a group of people to undertake a joint development, which produces a number of individual homes in addition to other facilities, such as a communal house.  

Developer-led custom build is the other main form of custom build housing. Here a developer subdivides a larger site into a number of 'design and build' plots. This gives people an opportunity to create a bespoke property.   

Building your own home is becoming increasingly popular and the council recognises the potential for custom built properties to help deliver more housing in East Riding. 

Top of page

How can I find out about land available for building on?

If you are interested in doing your own custom build project, you can sign up to the East Riding Custom Build Register. By registering your interest in purchasing a site (at market value) in East Riding of Yorkshire the council may contact you to inform you when a suitable site becomes available.

The East Riding Custom Build Register

The East Riding Custom Build Register is a register that anyone interested in custom/self building can sign up to which helps the council better understand: 

  • how many people are interested in custom/self-building 
  • the size of properties people are interested in building 
  • which areas in the East Riding people would consider building in

This will help the council understand the level of demand for sites that could be used for this form of housing, which the council can refer to when developing future plans and strategies.

To join the register you must be:

  • 18 years old or over
  • a British citizen (or a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom or a national of Switzerland and  interested in buying a serviced plot of land in East Riding of Yorkshire where you plan to build a house to live in as your sole or main residence (either on your own or with others).

If you wish to join the register please complete the form below: 

Apply to be added to the East Riding Custom Build Register (word 733kb opens in new window)

Forms should be completed and returned to:

Email: housing.strategy@eastriding.gov.uk 

Please note: by signing the register there is no guarantee that a plot that meets your specifications will become available.

Top of page

Where can I find out more about custom-build and self-building?

You can find helpful information on custom-build and self-build housing on the websites listed below.

The self-build portal includes a 'plot finding' application and a number of self-build case studies:

The self-build portal (external website)

The Build it website has step by step advice on how to approach a custom build scheme, including how to find a site and what designs to consider: 

Build it (external website)

Custom build homes lists sites and plots that are available for sale and provides advice on ways to finance a build:

Custom build homes (external website)

Plot finder offers a land and renovation finding service for homebuilders:

Plot finder (external website)

Plot browser offers a free plot finding service, which gives details of available plots in East Riding of Yorkshire:

Plot browser (external website)

UK Cohousing network provides information on cohousing:

UK cohousing network (external website)

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.