Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Apply for planning permission

Which application form do I need to complete?

The type of form you need to complete depends on the type of work you are doing:

‘Householder’ applications

If you want to make alterations/extend your home, then you will need the 'Householder’ application form. 

This form can be submitted online or on paper. 

Find out how to apply for planning permission below. 

‘Full’ applications

If you need to demolish and/or build a new home you will need the 'Full’ application form. 

'Full' planning applications can be submitted online or on paper. Read more about 'how to apply' below.

You can also read more about 'full planning permission' below:

Details of 'full' planning applications – Planning portal (external pdf opens in new window)

Find out how to apply for planning permission below. 

'Outline' applications

Most applicants will submit a 'full' application with all details of their proposal, so that if approved, the scheme can be built quickly.

An 'outline' planning application can, however, be used to establish the principle of development and is then followed by approval of 'reserved matters' when the details of the scheme are drawn up.

Outline planning permission is often sought for residential development on a site so that the land owner can sell to a developer with the principle already agreed.

Find out how to apply for planning permission below. 

Other applications

The Planning Portal also provides access to other application forms that may be required such as listed building consent, works to trees and hedgerow removal, advertisement consent and lawful development certificates.

Find out how to apply for planning permission below.

Top of page

What information do I need to submit?

Before you submit your application, you must prepare the following information:

‘Householder’ applications

Your householder application must be accompanied by:

‘Full’ applications

Full applications require more information than householder applications. 

Please take a look at our full planning application checklists.

Top of page

Are there any file type or file size restrictions when submitting electronically?

Yes. There are various restrictions on file sizes and file types that you can submit electronically to support your application. You can find guidance on this subject on the file sizes and formats guidance page.

Top of page 

How do I apply and pay for planning permission?

Once you have determined you definitely need planning permission, the easiest way is to apply online, but you can also submit a paper application:


It's much easier to apply online:

  • quick and user-friendly system
  • helps you choose the correct form
  • step-by-step help and advice
  • save your work and take a break
  • attach plans and drawings
  • save time and money
  • the application is sent to the council immediately.

Make a planning application online – Planning Portal (external website)

Payment online:

Your fee will be calculated during the application and you can pay in one of four ways:

  • secure online payment: by credit or debit card direct to the local planning authority

  • LPA Website (Secure Local Authority Payment Form):for payment of applications which have been partially submitted and have a reference number. Pay using the:

Online Planning Application Payment System 

  • payment by cheque: the system will tell you where to post the cheque when you select this option

  • payment by phone: the system will provide the correct telephone number when you select this option.

Please note: There is no surcharge added when making payments by debit/credit card.

On paper

If you'd prefer to submit a paper application, The Planning Portal website has all the necessary forms and help notes you may need:

Print off a planning application form – Planning Portal (external website)

Submitting your paper form:

Please complete and submit four copies of the application form and accompanying plans.

Once completed, you can take them to any customer service centre or post them to us at:

Planning and development management team
Cross Street
County Hall
HU17 9BA

Payment with your paper form:

Your fee can be paid in one of two ways when submitting a paper application:

  • by cheque: this must be submitted with your application, and should be made out to 'East Riding of Yorkshire Council'

  • by credit/debit card: over the phone on (01482) 393647 (please wait a few days before calling to ensure the application has been received and loaded into the system)

Either way, payment needs to be received with the application submission in order to avoid delay.

Please note: you can only pay online if you apply for planning permission online.

Top of page

Can you help me complete the application form?

The Planning Portal website has in-depth advice helping you complete your application:

YouTube video help files - Planning Portal (external website)

PDF help notes - Planning Portal (external PDF opens in new window)

Top of page

How do I make changes to my submitted application?

When permission is granted it is subject to a condition that building works should be carried out in accordance with approved plans.

If you wish to make amendments you are advised to discuss this with the case officer who dealt with your application. Their contact details will have been provided to you previously.

Top of page

What are the most common reasons for invalid planning applications?

There is a wide range of reasons as to why a planning application may be made invalid which can result in delays to the process. The list below details the most common reasons why some applications were made invalid for a time during 2013. Paying attention to these common issues and avoiding them may result in your application being processed more smoothly.

It is also worth paying particular attention to the validation guidance before submitting your application in order to minimise any chance of delay.

Most common reasons for planning applications being made invalid:

  • Inaccurate or incomplete plans and information.

  • Block plan and elevation plan views do not correlate (e.g. doors/windows not showing on both or in contradicting locations).

  • Floor plan and elevation plan do not correlate (e.g. doors/windows not showing on both).

  • Plans submitted are not to scale i.e. plan showing 1:200 however when measured shows 1:100.

  • Plans do not include a scale bar at all - all plans must include a scale bar (see document guidance).

  • Location Plans - discrepancies as to where/when to draw red and blue lines around sites or boundaries.

  • Location Plans - no red line around the site at all.

  • Electronic plans are not saved and submitted as shown on the scale stated - when printed out they may print in A3 rather than A0 - plans must be saved to the correct scale and this must be correctly stated on the document.

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.