View and comment on planning applications

Information on how to view applications, alerts on the progress of an application, viewing all applications within a certain area, registering online, commenting online, guidance for commenting, viewing committee reports and where to view planning application files. 

How can I view planning applications?

If you'd like to view and comment on planning applications submitted to the council, you should use the council's dedicated planning website, 'Public Access':

View and comment on planning applications 

Alternatively, you can read a brief overview of current and ongoing   large scale developments in the area.

Find out how to view  historic planning applications which have already been decided.

Overview of Public Access

Before you register on the Public Access you can:

  • carry out searches for planning applications currently being considered by the council and view comments and documents about those applications.

After you have registered on Public Access you can carry out a wider range of tasks including:

  • comment or object to planning applications
  • track progress of current planning applications
  • view documents relating to planning applications (plans, application forms, consultation responses, decision notices, officer reports)
  • view property details on a map
  • view details of historic (applications over 5 years old) planning applications 
  • Set up searches to enable automatic notification of new planning applications
  • view details of planning appeals
  • save search criteria for searches you wish to perform regularly
  • view and sort applications according to the month or week that they were validated or decided.

Read more about what you can do on Public Access and how to use it:

What you can do on Public Access

Who can comment on a planning application?


Anyone can comment on a current planning application that is still open for consultation. The council is keen to give people who may be affected by a proposed development the opportunity to express their views. 

We recognise that neighbours who live in the vicinity of an application site may be aware of local conditions and problems that they may wish to highlight in the council’s consideration of the application. 

Details of the expiry of a consultation can be found on the site notice erected at the site address and also by viewing the important dates screen against the application on the Public Access website.


The  Consultee Access website allows regular and 'statutory consultees' to keep track of all of their consultations (current and previous) in one location. It also allows the consultee to track comments made by other consultees and facilitates instant submission of comments.

Read more about statutory consultees (who they are and what they do) on the Planning Portal website:

Planning Portal - Statutory Consultees (external website)

Parish and town councils

Town and parish councils comment on planning applications using the  Consultee Access website

Read more about planning for town and parish councils, including not just how they can comment or object, but the entire planning process.

How can I comment on a planning application?

You can comment on a planning application online and in writing: 


The easiest way to comment on a planning application is via the council's Public Access website under the 'Make a comment' button. You can access this website at home or in any of our libraries, but you must register on the site and be logged in to be able to leave comments:

View and comment on planning applications

Once you have registered you can follow our guidance on how to find the application you wish to make a comment on or view the comments of others for:  

How to submit or view comments on a planning application 

Please note: when composing comments on an application there is, for security reasons, a 1 hour time limit on your session. If you are composing a lengthy comment that is likely to take you longer than 1 hour, please be advised to prepare your comment(s) beforehand and then copy and paste them into the online form.

In writing


Please address your letter to (including the planning application number and your contact details) to:

Planning and Development Management Team
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
Cross Street
HU17 9BA

Please note: Face to face or telephone comments can’t be accepted.

Please ensure you do so by the date in the notification letter/on site/press notice. This will give us time to consider your views before a decision is made on the application.

Please also include the application number.

What types of issues can be considered when objecting?

You can make comments on any views you may have on the planning application:

View and comment on planning applications

We value your views as they are important in helping us make a decision on the planning application.

The planning officer can only take into account issues that are relevant to the application. For example, we are unable to consider issues which are most commonly raised such as a loss of view, property value and legal issues such as covenants on properties. 

Such issues and others such as parking, traffic and noise are considered to be 'material considerations' and should be taken into account in deciding a planning application or on an appeal against a planning decision. 

'Material considerations' are extremely varied and include fundamental factors involved in land-use planning such as:

  • the number, size, layout, siting, density, design and external appearance of buildings
  • the proposed means of access
  • landscaping
  • impact on the neighbourhood
  • the availability of infrastructure 

Issues which 'may' be considered 

  • Planning history of the site

  • Overshadowing

  • Overlooking and loss of privacy 

  • Adequate parking and servicing

  • Overbearing nature of proposal

  • Loss of trees

  • Loss of ecological habitats

  • Archaeology

  • Contamination by a previous use

  • Effect on listed building(s) and conservation areas

  • Access and highways safety

  • Traffic generation

  • Noise and disturbance

  • Disturbance from smells

  • Public visual amenity

  • Flood risk

  • Planning gain

Issues which 'can not normally' be considered 

  • Loss of value to an individual property

  • Loss of a private individual's view

  • Boundary disputes including encroachment of foundations or gutters

  • Private covenants or agreements

  • The applicant personal conduct or history

  • The applicant motives

  • Potential profit for the applicant or from the application

  • Private rights to light

  • Private rights of way

  • Damage to property

  • Loss of trade to individual competitors

  • Age, health, status, background and work patterns of the objector

  • The amount of time taken to do the work

  • Building and structural techniques

  • Matters covered by another statute

  • Alcohol or gaming licence

What happens after I've submitted my comments?

Your comments will not be made public on the Public Access website as soon as you submit them. Instead, they will be made public once they have been read and processed by the planning team. Publication of your comments confirms that we have received them.

Once your comments have been received they are reviewed carefully. Decisions on the majority of planning applications are determined under the council's 'delegated powers procedure', meaning your comments will be considered by a planning officer rather than a committee.

The decision to approve or refuse a planning application will take about 8 weeks for the majority of applications. However, large or complex applications may take longer. Find out how you can be notified of any updates.

If it goes to a planning committee

If the application is subsequently referred to a planning committee for decision, then your comments will be included on the officer's report. You will be notified in writing 7 days before the planning application  is reported to a committee and you'll be given the chance to speak to the committee to share your views on the planning application.

Reports to the  Planning Committee, the  Eastern Area Planning Sub-Committeeand the  Western Area Planning Sub-Committeecan be viewed online.

Are you the applicant?

Read more about what happens after you submit your application.

How will I know if an application has been approved or refused?

Everyone who comments on an application will be informed of the decision.  Decision notices will also be published on the  Public Access website. If you register for an account you can 'track' applications you are interested in and receive notifications about updates. Learn how to register for Public Access and how to track applications.

The decision notice will explain the reasons for refusal or any conditions that may have been imposed as part of an approval.

If you are the applicant there is a right of appeal if your application is refused or if you disagree with any conditions that are imposed.  Your right of appeal, and the timescale for making an appeal, is explained in the notes attached to the decision letter.  Please note that Planning Legislation does not extend the right of appeal to objectors should permission be granted.

Will my details be made public when I comment on an application?

Responses will be published on the council’s website, and will be open for viewing by members of the public. 

Your comment  if submitted electronically using Public Access will publish your name and postal address and the content of your comment.  Your e-mail address and telephone number are automatically withheld from publishing.

If you submit an e-mail or postal comment we shall publish your name and postal address and the content of your comment, however redact (blank out or obscure from public view), your e-mail address, telephone number and signature.

The council will not post comments submitted anonymously or those which it considers to contain libelous, discriminatory or otherwise offensive remarks. The council reserves the right not to post comments in the event that by reason of the volume of comments submitted, it is not possible to check submissions for inappropriate content. The council dissociates itself from any comments made of a libelous, discriminatory or otherwise offensive nature. There is procedure for lodging a complaint about any alleged  defamatory material on the council's website.

Any correspondence received which the council considers contains libelous, discriminatory or otherwise offensive comments will not be taken into account in assessing planning or related applications. 

Can I view historic planning applications?

Applications made after 2000

Historic planning applications can be viewed online for most applications which have been decided after 2000 through the council's Public Access website:

View and comment on planning applications 

Learn how to use Public Access and it's different search tools to help you find what you're looking for. A copy of the decision notice can be printed or downloaded free of charge from your own computer.

Applications made before 2000

You can have a copy of a decision notice sent to you directly for a cost of £7.29 (per notice).

Request and pay for a planning decision notice

Planning history search requests

From 9 January 2017, charges are being applied for requests to identify any planning history on a single property or site within the East Riding of Yorkshire Council boundary.

These charges are set as:

  • £18 (inc VAT)  for a single property request
  • £54 (inc VAT)  for all other search requests

Request and pay for a planning history search

Please note: following your request and payment, you will receive notification of any planning application reference(s), and be informed whether the application is viewable on the Public Access website, or can be viewed at the Beverley Customer Service Centre.

Last Updated: Thursday, 21 June 2018