Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Coastal change - getting support

Am I at risk from coastal change?

To estimate the risk of coastal erosion or coastal flooding to your property or land, please visit the following websites:


Coastal Explorer – erosion data (external East Riding website)

Environment Agency – erosion risk maps (external website)

Environment Agency – flood risk maps (external website)

Alternatively, please call (01482) 395604 to speak to the senior coastal engineer. Top of page

Can the council help me to deal with coastal change?

If your property or land is at risk from coastal change (specifically, coastal erosion or coastal flooding), you may qualify for free advice or financial assistance through the East Riding Coastal Change Fund.  You can find out more by reading the rest of this page or by calling the coastal officer on (01482) 391713. 

Please note: funding is not available for building private coastal defences or new property further inland. Top of page

Can I claim compensation if I lose property or land because of coastal change?

No.  There is no approved process for compensating for the loss of private property or land caused by coastal erosion or tidal flooding (coastal change).  This applies throughout England, including in those areas which are not defended or which are affected by managed realignment.

For details of alternative support, please read about the East Riding Coastal Change Fund below.

Top of page


What is the East Riding Coastal Change Fund?

The East Riding Coastal Change Fund is a project which offers limited financial assistance and free advice to residents affected by coastal erosion.  If you own or rent a property which is at risk from erosion, you might qualify for a Relocation Package or an Adaptation Package:

Relocation Package (funding for some or all of the following options):

Adaptation Package (funding for one of the following options):

To discuss your needs, please call the coastal officer on 01482 391713.  As part of your application for a Relocation Package or an Adaptation Package, you will be asked to prove that:

Note: we deliver the East Riding Coastal Change Fund using the remainder of a grant issued by the Government in 2010.  Although we are trying to find new money so that we can continue the East Riding Coastal Change Fund once the grant has been spent, unfortunately this cannot be guaranteed.  Therefore, we continue to accept and process applications on a "first come, first served" basis, giving priority to people at greatest risk rather than ring-fencing money for any individuals or particular communities. Top of page

What was the East Riding Coastal Change Pathfinder?

In 2010, we received £1.2 million from the Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs to deliver 1 of 15 national Coastal Change Pathfinder projects.  We delivered our East Riding Coastal Change Pathfinder between February 2010 and March 2012 in order to trial new ways of helping people to adapt to living on an eroding coastline.  We gave financial assistance to 36 households along our coastline, supporting 16 relocations, 43 property demolitions and several adaptation projects.  The remainder of the grant is currently available to coastal residents for adaptation and relocation through the East Riding Coastal Change Fund, as detailed at the top of this page.

Top of page

Can I get planning permission to build at the coast?

Yes, if the development being proposed is appropriate and satisfies national and local planning policy.  Development in the coastal zone is subject to normal controls, and we base our decisions on planning applications upon the most up-to-date information available.  Later this year, we will also start to assess plans for temporary coastal developments against the Coastal Change Management Area in the East Riding Local Plan.

We have a number of local planning policies to help support adaptation to coastal change and to avoid inappropriate new development in areas affected by coastal erosion.  For more information about the planning application process, please visit our planning pages.To learn more about planning policies which encourage adaptation to coastal change, please read the information below about 'Rollback' policies. Top of page

What is ‘Rollback’?

‘Rollback’ refers to the relocation of property and infrastructure further inland from the eroding coastline.

We were one of the first councils to introduce Rollback policies in order to address coastal erosion risk to caravan parks (2003/04) and homes and farmsteads (2005), in areas where coastal defences are not viable.  In simple terms, the 'Rollback' policies can allow residents and business owners who are affected by coastal erosion to replace threatened properties by building on safer land in the coastal zone which is not generally available for development. 

We assess each application for ‘Rollback’ on its merits, using engineers' erosion monitoring data to work out the level of risk to the existing property and the suitability of the proposed 'Rollback' plot.

For information on how to apply for 'Rollback', please contact the Development Management team on 01482 393792 or at  For details of possible support for rollback, please read about the East Riding Coastal Change Fund at the top of this page. Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.