Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Council tax billing

Paying your council tax online is quick, simple and secure.

Pay your council tax online

What is council tax?

Council tax is a local tax which was introduced on 1 April 1993 to help pay for local services. It is charged on all domestic properties, and the amount payable depends on the value of your property.

In addition to the council tax payable on your property, the council also collect money on behalf of other precepting authorities which are added to your bill, such as:

  • Humberside fire authority
  • Police and crime commissioner
  • Parish councils charges
  • Special expenses that the council provide instead of the parish or town council.

Top of page

What does council tax pay for?

Council tax pays for local services that the council provides. A full breakdown of what council tax pays for can be found in our council tax booklet:

A guide to council tax (pdf 179kb opens in new window)

Top of page

What is a council tax valuation band?

All domestic properties are allocated a banding by the valuation office, who are an executive agency of Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs.

Bandings are based on what the property would have been worth on 1 April 1991. Even if the property did not exist on this date, the property would be back valued to what it would have been worth. 

Banding A

Value from £0 - £40,000.

Banding B

Value from £40,001 - £52,000.

Banding C

Value from £52,001 - £68,000.

Banding D

Value from £68,001 - £88,000.

Banding E

Value from £88,001 - £120,000.

Banding F

Value from £120,001 - £160,000.

Banding G

Value from £160,001 - £320,000.

Banding H

Value from £320,001 and above.

If you wish to find out the banding of your property, please visit the Valuation Office Agency website, where you will be able to find the correct property band.

Valuation office council tax band checker (external website opens in new window)

Your banding will also be quoted on any council tax bill that you receive.

Top of page

Can you change my council tax band?

Appeal against your banding

If you disagree with your valuation band, do not contact the council unless the banding is provisional. You can make a formal proposal against your council tax band by contacting the Valuation Office directly.

Valuation office - challenge your banding (external website)

Contacting the Valuation Office

For contact details for the Valuation Office, please visit their website:

Valuation Office (external website)

Top of page

How much is my council tax?

Once you know the band that your property is in, you can check to see how much the annual council tax payable on your property. A full list of charges are detailed in the document below:

Annual council tax charges (pdf 60kb opens in new window)

Find out how much you currently owe

You can check your council tax account balance online:

Council account balance enquiry (opens in new window)

Top of page

What has changed with council tax?

The money collected from the council tax on domestic properties currently provides 20% of the amount the council spends on local public services including education, highways, refuse collection and social services. The remainder comes from rents, other income and government grants.

In April 2013 the government abolished council tax benefit and made a number of changes to the way local authorities receive and allocate funding, including a reduction in the amount available for the locally designed council tax support scheme which was brought in to replace council tax benefit.

In addition, changes were made to council tax legislation which gave local authorities greater freedom to vary the amount and duration of some council tax discounts and exemptions which apply to unoccupied properties. In common with the majority of local authorities, all of whom were affected by these changes, East Riding of Yorkshire Council members voted to adjust the amounts and duration of some discounts and exemptions to help offset the shortfall left by the changes in government funding.

Top of page

How do I contact the billing and collection department?

If you have a query or your circumstances have changed, you can contact the billing and collection section in a number of different ways:


You can complete a number of online forms from our Online services page.

Or send us a message using the option below:

Contact the billing and collection section (opens in new window)


Send an email to us at


Telephone us on (01482) 394747.


Contact us by post at:

Billing and collection section
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
Cross Street
County Hall
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BA

Customer service centre

Visit your local customer service centre.

I have received a council tax bill, how can I pay this?

For a full list of ways in which you can pay your council tax, please see the council tax payment page.

The council offer a variety of different payment methods, dates and frequencies to  make paying your council tax easier. Top of page

What council tax discounts, reductions, exemptions and disregards are available?


There are a number of different council tax discounts available depending on individual circumstances.  The types of discount and their descriptions are listed below: 

Single person discount

  • If you are the only adult in the property over the age of 18.

Tied accommodation

  • If the you have moved to another property provided by your employer as a condition of your job. 

Council tax support 

  • A means tested discount if you are not working or are on a low income.


A residential property can be exempt from council tax if it meets the criteria one of the council tax exemption classes prescribed by council tax legislation.

If circumstances change, and the qualifying criteria is no longer met, any exemption will cease.

Exemptions are specific to an individual property, if the exemption is time limited, the exemption period is not extended or restarted if there is a change in the person who is liable for council tax.

A full list of exemptions is available in exemption guide below:

Council tax exemption guide (pdf 178kb opens in new window)


The full council tax is payable on a property where there are two or more occupants over the age of 18 with their sole or main residence at the property.

When counting the number of occupants in the property, an occupant may be disregarded if certain qualifying criteria are met.

A full list of council tax disregards is available in the disregard guide below:

Council tax disregard guide (73kb opens in new window)

Disabled band reduction

Your council tax banding can be reduced by one valuation band if a disabled person lives in the property and the property has certain features which are there for the well being of the disabled person.

The quickest and easiest way to apply for disabled band reduction is to complete an online application form.

The application form can be completed from our online services page

Top of page

Do I have to pay council tax on more than one property?

Properties which are not used by anyone as their main home but are furnished are referred to as second homes. All residential dwellings are subject to council tax therefore the person who owns or rents a second home is liable for any council tax which may be payable for it, as well as for the dwelling which they occupy as their main home.

Second homes

The council does not award a reduction in council tax for second homes, the full council tax charge is payable.

Second homes - tied accommodation

If someone has to live in a particular property because of the terms of their contract of employment and it is not their main residence then a discount of fifty percent can be awarded for the council tax for the second property.

An example would be a pub manager who might normally live elsewhere but is required to live in a flat above the pub under the terms of a contract of employment. Anyone claiming this discount will be asked to provide a copy of the contract of employment which requires them to be resident at a certain dwelling.

Empty properties

Dwellings which are not used by anyone as their main home and are unfurnished are referred to as ‘empty properties’.

The discounts available for empty properties are:

  • From 1 April 2017, if a property is empty and unfurnished the full council tax xharge is payable.
  • If a property has been empty and unfurnished for 24 months, an additional 50% empty home premium will be added to your council tax bill

Top of page

I cannot afford to pay my council tax, can you help?

If you cannot afford the monthly instalments on your council tax bill there are a number of different options available to you:


Contact the billing and collection section. 

Instalments can now be offered over the full 12 months instead of 10 months. In addition to monthly instalments, we can now offer weekly and fortnightly instalments.

Contact the billing and collection section (opens in new window)

Council tax support

If you are not working, or are on a low income, you can make an application for council tax support visit the council tax support pagefor more information.

Seek advice

if you are struggling with your finances, you can make an appointment to see our Welfare Visiting team (opens in new window).

Discretionary reduction scheme

The council operates a discretionary reduction scheme under Section 13A of the Local Government Finance Act.

The purpose of the scheme is to provide assistance to council tax payers and help them to reduce their council tax liability.

There are no pre-determined criteria, as such, for the award of a discretionary reduction, although a household’s income and expenditure are important. Each application will be considered based upon the individual circumstances of the applicant.

For more information, please see our council tax discretionary policy.

Council tax discretionary reduction scheme (pdf 619kb opens in new window)

If you wish to apply for a discretionary reduction, you can do so by completing our online form.

Apply for a council tax discretionary reduction form (opens in new window)

You will need to have full details of your income and expenditure to complete the form and you will need to supply evidence in support of your application.

Once your application has been considered, the adjudication team will contact you.

Top of page

I have overpaid my council tax, can I have a refund?

If you have received a council tax bill showing you a refund is due, we will normally refund this automatically.

If you pay by direct debit, the credit will be returned to the bank account that it came from.

You can contact the billing and collection section (opens in a new window  via an online form if you have any further questions regarding overpaid bills and how your credit is refunded.

Top of page

Where can I find financial information relating to my annual council tax charge?

The documents below contain financial information relating to the annual council tax charge:

A guide to council tax (pdf 179kb opens in new window)

Police & Crime commissioner leaflet (pdf 442kb opens in new window)

Humberside fire authority leaflet (pdf 307kb opens in new window)

Copies of the various town council precepts are below:

Beverley town council precept (pdf 174kb opens in new window)

Bridlington town council precept (pdf 148kb opens in new window)

Driffield town council precept (pdf 371kb opens in new window)

Elloughton cum brough town council precept (pdf 22kb opens in new window)

Hedon town council precept (pdf 26kb opens in new window)

Hornsea town council precept (pdf 81kb opens in new window)

Howden town council precept (pdf 134kb opens in new window)

Goole town council precept (pdf 17kb opens in new window)

Market Weighton town council precept (pdf 475kb opens in new window)

Pocklington town council precept (pdf 9mb opens in new window)

Withernsea town council precept (pdf 38kb opens in new window)

Copies of the special expenses are below:

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.