Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Sheltered council housing

What is sheltered council housing?

Sheltered council housing allows tenants to live independently, whilst having the added security of knowing that someone is available to help in an emergency 24 hours a day. There are sheltered schemes throughout the East Riding offering differing services and with different facilities. Some schemes have resident wardens who are available on site during the working day. Help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year by using the two-way internal intercom system in all sheltered properties. Residents of sheltered schemes may still need the help and support of friends and relatives, each warden has responsibility for a number of residents and cannot replace this vital support.

The cost of the warden service for sheltered council housing is included in the rent for the property and is eligible for housing benefit.

Tenants of council bungalows and flats where there is no resident warden can also have access to our 24-hour monitoring centre through East Riding lifeline. The service provides a home safety and personal security system via the telephone line, that enables tenants to live independently in their own home.  Three levels of service are available, and a charge is payable dependent on the level of service chosen.  More information is available on our Lifeline web pages.

If you are a pensioner or disabled we can help you look at the options for moving to more suitable accommodation.  We can provide practical help when you move, and if you are in receipt of a means-tested benefit we can provide financial help towards the costs of moving.

To find out more about our Housing Options Advice Serviceplease email telephone (01482) 396301.

Top of page

What types of sheltered council housing are there, and where are they?

We have sheltered bungalows and flats in towns and villages across the East Riding.

The following pdf booklet gives details of the types of sheltered properties that we own and in which locations. If you decide to apply for sheltered council accommodation you should check that we have the type of accommodation that you want and in the area that you want to live:

What and Where? A Guide to Social Rented Housing in the East Riding (pdf 697kb opens in new window)

For more information on sheltered schemes please get in touch using the details below:

Telephone: (01482) 396301.

Top of page

How do I apply for sheltered council housing?

If you want to apply for sheltered housing you must complete a housing application form and area list.  You can download and print the forms from the following pdf documents.

Housing Application Form (pdf 170kb opens in new window)

Housing Application Area List (pdf 545kb opens in new window)

You must complete and return both forms. They can be handed in at any Customer Service Centre or return them to:

Housing Services
County Hall
Cross Street
HU17 9BA

You can also obtain a form by e-mailing your request to or by telephoning (01482) 396301.

Properties are allocated in accordance with our council housing allocation policy. We currently have some  vacanciesin sheltered properties and have no one on our waiting list for them. Telephone (01482) 396301 for more information.

If you need to move on medical grounds, we will look at your housing application form to see if you are eligible to apply.  If you are, we will send you a medical priority application form.

Medical priority applications are assessed by a health authority doctor, who can grant a priority for a type of accommodation, eg. ground floor accommodation. They cannot specify the area or proximity to facilities.

Applicants over 60 years-of-age (at the date of their tenancy starts) who do not have any children in their household, will be granted a secure lifetime tenancyfor sheltered accommodation, except where they have a financial interest in another permanent residence.  In this instance, they will be granted a five-year secure flexible tenancywhich will be reviewed when that property is sold.

If you are our tenant and pensioner or disabled we can provide practical help when you move, and if you are in receipt of a means-tested benefit we can provide financial help towards the costs of moving.

To find out more about our Housing Options AdviceService, please email telephone (01482) 396301.

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.