Paying your council home rent

How do I pay my council home rent?

There are 8 different ways you can pay your council house rent:

  • Direct Debit
  • Online
  • Telephone
  • Internet banking and standing order
  • Postal cheque or cash
  • Customer service centre
  • Self-service terminal
  • PayPoint (by cash only)

Direct Debit

This is the most convenient method of payment, and by choosing to pay by Direct Debit, you can chose to pay monthly on the 7th of each month, or fortnightly on the second Monday of each rent fortnight.

Set up your council house rent Direct Debit online (external East Riding website)

Please note: Some types of bank account cannot be used for Direct Debits. Your bank will be able to advise you.

If none of your details have changed (i.e. address, sort code, account number), your Direct Debit will remain active, so you do not need to resend us your bank details each year.

If you previously paid your rent by Standing Order, you will need to cancel this with your bank.


You can pay online through our secure online payment facility:

Pay your council house rent online (opens in new window)


You can pay your council house rent 24 hours a day over the automated telephone system on 0300 330 1515 with one of the following cards:

Debit card - Visa Debit, Maestro, Solo, Visa Electron or Delta

Credit card - Visa or MasterCard

Please note: an extra fee (surcharge) of 1.8% of your council tax bill amount is added when using a credit card.

Payments can also be made via telephone for council tax, business rates and other council invoices.

Internet banking

If you use internet banking or wish to set up a standing order, details of the council's bank account to which the payment should be sent are:

Sort code: 60-02-23

Account number: 99105837

Please remember to include your full council house rent number as your reference.

To set up a standing order, or to sign up for internet banking, please contact your bank.

Postal cheque or cash

Should you wish to send a cheque, please make it payable to 'East Riding of Yorkshire Council' and post it to:

East Riding of Yorkshire Council

PO Box 83


East Riding of Yorkshire

HU17 9YR

Please include your name, address, and council house rent number on the reverse of your cheque.

Cash payments by post should be sent by using a 'special delivery' option that includes sufficient insurance to cover the cost of the item, i.e. the amount of cash posted.

The council does not accept any responsibility for cash sent by ordinary post.

Customer Service Centre

Payments can be made debt or credit card, cash, cheque, or postal orders.

Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to 'East Riding of Yorkshire Council'.

Do not deposit cash in council office letter boxes, as the council cannot take responsibility for money left in this way.

The council has 14 customer service centres located throughout the East Riding of Yorkshire. Find your nearest customer service centre, location and opening times.

Self-service terminal

The council has installed easy to use self-service terminals in the following customer service centres:

  • Haltemprice Leisure Centre
  • Hessle Centre
  • Withernsea Centre
  • East Riding Petuaria Centre, Brough
  • East Riding Wicstun Centre, Market Weighton
  • East Riding Pocela Centre, Pocklington

Self-service terminals will take cash and card payment of your council house rent

Please note: You will need to bring/remember your council house rent number.

PayPoint (by cash only)

You can now pay your rent in cash at any PayPoint outlet.

PayPoint outlets are typically shops, garages etc and are recognised by a logo displayed prominently on the front of the premises:

Find your nearest PayPoint outlet (external website)

Just take your rent card with you to your local PayPoint outlet, and they can take your cash payment using the bar code on the reverse of your rent card.

Please keep your receipt as proof of payment.

Payments take up to four working days to be credited to your council house rent account.

Please note: You can only pay by cash at a PayPoint outlet.

Top of page

I’m a council tenant and am having trouble paying my rent, can I get help?

If you are having difficulty paying your rent, you should apply for housing benefit online (opens in a new window

If you have started to have trouble paying your rent since April 2013 due to the reduction in housing benefit for tenants underoccupying their homes, you may wish to consider moving to a smaller property.  If you would like to do this you need to apply for a transfer or register for a mutual exchange.

If you are not eligible for housing benefit and are still having difficulty in paying your rent please contact the billing and collection team.

Email: rents@eastriding.gov.uk
Telephone: (01482) 394747

Don’t wait until you have a large debt. If you do not pay your rent you are breaking a condition of your tenancy and we may take action to repossess your home.

Top of page

I’m a council tenant, how do I claim housing benefit?

Our benefits section deal with claims for housing benefit from our tenants. You may be able to claim housing benefit if you are the tenant of one of our properties, you live in the dwelling and you are on a low income. You can apply for housing benefit online (opens in new window) or visit one of our customer service centres where a member of staff will assist you. Please remember to take original evidence with you.

In order to process a new claim the benefits team will need proof for you, and your partner, of your identities, national insurance numbers, income, capital and savings; along with proof of income for any other adults in your home.

Top of page

Can I find out if my claim can be backdated or not?

There is no automatic right for us to backdate your claim, each request is considered on its individual merits.

Find out more from the New housing benefit and council tax support claims page.

Top of page

I’ve lost my council rent card, how do I get another one?

You can request a replacement council home rent card online (opens in new window).

Our billing and collection team provide a complete enquiry service for tenants in relation to the rent of council houses, rent arrears and council garages.

Email: rents@eastriding.gov.uk
Telephone: (01482) 394747

They will be able to send you a replacement card. The team issue new, annual and replacement rent cards, annual rent increase letters and standing order forms.

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.