Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Housing benefit and council tax support

Notes and coin

Housing benefit provides help with paying your rent, and council tax support provides help with your council tax, if you are on a low income.
This section provides information for new and existing customers.

In this section...

Items in this section

People with calculator

New claims

Information about how to make a new claim for housing benefit and council tax support. We can also give you an estimate of how much you may be entitled to.

Items in this section

Pile of coins

Existing claims

Information about housing benefit payments and overpayments. Also, what to do should your circumstances change.

Items in this section

Two people looking at documents

Reconsiderations and appeals

What to do if you do not agree with a decision that we have made.

Items in this section

Information symbol

Benefit fraud reporting and investigation

Information about how to report suspected fraud for both housing benefit and council tax support.

Items in this section

Money coming out of a cash machine

Welfare Visiting Team

Information about how the council's Welfare Visiting team can help you with your finances.

Items in this section

Pen and calculator

Other available benefits

Information about how to claim free school meals, clothing grants and any other benefits.

Items in this section

Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a working age benefit which replaces a range of existing benefits and will be phased in within the East Riding of Yorkshire between 2016 and 2018.

Items in this section

Bay windows

Help paying your rent

If you are struggling to pay your rent, we might be able to offer you a discretionary housing payment (DHP). This is a short-term payment from the council to help cover some housing costs

You may have been looking for...

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.