Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Welfare Visiting Team

How can the Welfare Visiting team help me?

The Welfare Visiting team are available to help any resident in the East Riding who are struggling with rent and/or council tax payments or repaying overpaid housing benefit.

We can negotiate affordable repayment rates and offer debt and budgeting advice. The team also carry out benefit checks to maximise our customers' income.

We offer a home visiting service or if you prefer, we can arrange an appointment at your local customer service centre.

We also offer home visits to help vulnerable pension age customers apply for housing benefit and council tax support.

Top of page

How do I contact the Welfare Visiting team?

There are a number of ways by which you can contact the Welfare Visiting team:

You can send an enquiry online: 

Send an enquiry online to the Welfare Visiting team



Tel: (01482) 394633.

Top of page

How do I open a bank account?

Basic bank accounts are offered by all high street banks and everyone is entitled to one. However only Barclays and Co-operative offer specialist accounts if you are an undischarged bankrupt. Credit Unions also offer a banking service.

Barclays cash card account (external website)

Credit Union website (external website)

Co-operative cashminder account (external website)

Top of page

What are priority debts and what are non priority debts?

Priority debts are your most important debts - ones which cover your essential costs of living.

Such essential costs include:

  • mortgage or rent
  • secured loans
  • council tax
  • gas, water and electricity
  • court fines
  • child maintenance.

Non-priority debts include items such as sky television, mobile phones and store cards.

Top of page

I cannot afford to pay my council tax/rent, what can I do?

You should contact the Welfare Visiting Team for confidential advice and continue to pay as much towards your council tax/rent as you can until a visit or appointment can be arranged.

Top of page

I don't feel that I am able to accept my housing benefit payments and would like them to go directly to my landlord?

You should contact the Welfare Visiting team who may be able to offer you help and support with accepting and managing your own payments or may be able to arrange for your payments to be sent directly to your landlord.

Top of page

I have found myself in debt, what can I do?

If you are struggling to meet repayments on credit cards or loans, then this could have an adverse effect on your income and affect your ability to pay other debts, such as your rent or council tax. 

If this is the case and you are worried that you will not be able to pay these, please contact either the Welfare Visiting team, or Citizens Advice Bureau.

If you want help with budgeting, use our free budgeting tool.

Budgeting tool (external website)

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

The service is always free, confidential and impartial, and no charges are made, unlike many debt management companies. The Citizens Advice Bureau have been providing advice since 1939 and is an integral and trusted part of the East Riding communities. 

A budgeting tool to help you with your finances is available on the citizens advice website:

Citizens Advice Budgeting tool (external website)


You can contact the CLA Network on 0300 3300888 or drop into one of their offices at:

100 Lairgate
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 0NP

Advice sessions are available:
Tuesday 10am - 4pm
Friday 10am - 4pm

5a Prospect Arcade
East Riding of Yorkshire
YO15 2AL

Advice sessions are available:

Tuesday 9am - 4pm
Wednesday9am - 4pm
Thursday 9am - 4pm

80 Pasture Road
East Riding of Yorkshire
DN14 6HE

Advice sessions are available:

Monday 9am - 4pm

Wednesday 9am - 4pm

Friday 9am - 4pm 

Telephone advice times 

Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm


Top of page

What other organisations can provide financial advice?

There are a number of organisations who can provide free useful advice and information for people who are experiencing financial problems:


Stepchange is a charity that provides free, independent and realistic debt advice and support.

Stepchange (external website)


Council tax and rent recovery

The recovery section collect council tax and council rent for East Riding of Yorkshire Council. You can contact them on (01482) 394747.

Credit Union

The Credit Union can help with basic bank accounts, give access to low cost loans and offer easy ways to start saving. You can contact them by telephone (01482) 778753 or visit their website.

Credit Union - loans (external website)

Directgov website

This government website offers detailed and wide ranging information and advice on claiming benefits, job searching, further education, pensions and retirement planning, voting and much more.

Directgov website - money, tax and benefits (external website)

Financial services authority

The financial services authority is the regulator of financial services in the UK, they set the standards that firms must meet and take action against those that fail to meet the required standards.

The financial services authority (external website)

Housing benefit and council tax support section

The housing benefit and council tax support section administers claims for both housing benefit and council tax support.

They also process free school meal and clothing grant claim requests. For more information please visit the housing benefit web pages and choose the appropriate question.

Other available benefits (opens in new window)

Money advice service

The money advice service provide free, clear and unbiased advice to help you manage your money.

Money advice service - your money (external website)

Tax credits

The official website for HM Revenue & Customs that makes claiming and finding out if you are entitled to tax credits easier. This site also offers help and advice on claiming child benefit and has a very useful tax credit calculator. You can navigate throughout the site to find the suitable section relating to your concern.

HM Revenue and Customs (external website)

Top of page

I need help with budgeting, can you help?

We understand that some customers may need help with their monthly/weekly budgeting.

Our budgeting tool will help you create your own personal budget plan to assist with taking control of your finances. 

Using our budgeting tool you can get recommendations for:

  • how you can reduce your expenses
  • how you can maximise your income
  • how to pay off your debts
  • how to save for a rainy day.

Budgeting tool (external website)

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.