Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Existing claims

Reporting a change in your circumstances online is quick, simple and secure

Report change of circumstances online

My circumstances have changed, do I need to notify you?

You must report all changes in your circumstances to the council immediately. You may be asked to provide evidence to support your change. Types of changes you need to report include:

  • changes in household members
  • change of address
  • change of your income for you, your partner and other household members
  • change in rent
  • change in expenses
  • changes in capital over £6,000 for working age claimants
  • changes in capital over £10,000 for pension age claimants.

Failure to report a change in your circumstances promptly may result in you being overpaid. The council will then recover any overpayment from you. You could also face prosecution or an administrative  penalty.

Top of page

How do I notify you of a change in my circumstances?

Reporting changes online is quick, simple and


Complete our online change in circumstances forms:

Report a change in circumstances (opens in new window)   


Telephone us on (01482) 394799 and we will take the details of your changes. 


Email  with the details of your changes. 

Customer service centre

Call into your local customer service centre where a member of the customer service team will take the details of your changes.

Write to us

Send the details to us at the following address:

Benefit Assessments
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
PO Box 12
County Hall
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BA  Top of page

Why have I been paid too much?

You may have been paid an amount you may not be entitled to for a number of reasons:

  • You may have forgotten to tell us that you, your partner or an adult member of your homes income has increased, for example, working tax credit, state benefits or work pensions
  • Somebody may have moved into or out of your household
  • A member of your household may have turned 18
  • You may have moved home and not told us
  • You, your partner or an adult member of your home may have started work, changed jobs or had a wage increase.

The benefits team will write to you explaining:

  • how much you have been overpaid
  • the reason why you have been overpaid
  • the period the overpayment covers
  • how we will recover the overpayment.
Top of page

How can I repay my overpayment?

Housing benefit

If you are still in receipt of housing benefit we will recover the overpayment from your ongoing benefit entitlement. This means that we will reduce the amount of housing benefit we pay you until the overpayment has been paid off.

You must make sure that you increase your payments to your landlord or to your rent account to cover this reduction in benefit.

We may be able to reduce the amount we are recovering from your ongoing benefit if you are experiencing financial difficulties. You can request this by telephoning 01482 394799 or by completing the form below:

Income and Expenditure Form (opens in new window)

If you are no longer receiving housing benefit we will send you an invoice advising you of the amount you owe. If you wish to discuss a repayment plan please telephone 01482 394799.

We may ask the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to recover an overpayment from your ongoing state benefits. The DWP will determine the amount we can recover each week.

Council tax support

If your entitlement to council tax support changes, your council tax bill will be adjusted and a revised bill will be issued. The bill will advise you of the outstanding amount, and an instalment plan will be included.

Please see the council tax payments page for further information.

Top of page

Will I be affected by the benefit cap?


The Welfare Reform and Work Act (2016) introduced some changes to the benefit cap. 

These changes, which will take effect on 7 November 2016 for existing claimants and 28 November 2016 for new claimants, include changes to the benefit cap levels to £23,000 a year for couples with or without children and lone parents and £15,410 for single people without children in Greater London, and £20,000 and £13,400 respectively for those groups elsewhere in Great Britain. 

They also include additional exemptions for recipients of Guardian’s Allowance, Carer’s Allowance and Universal Credit claimants who receive payments towards carer’s costs. 

To see if you are affected by the benefit cap, please visit the below link:

Are you affected by the benefit cap? (external website, opens in new window)

For more information about the benefit cap changes please visit:

GOV.UK - Benefit cap

If you are in financial hardship and have a shortfall in your rent we may be able to award a Discretionary Housing Payment. For further information and to apply, visit the link below:

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (Opens in new window)

Top of page

What help can I get from the council?

The council has its own welfare visiting team, who offer a benefit and debt advice service which may be able to assist you if you are experiencing financial difficulties and will also check that you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to. 

To find out more visit our Money Advice Page.

The council has a limited budget to award discretionary housing payments. This scheme offers short term additional help to customers who have a shortfall in their housing costs and are experiencing difficulty in paying their rent. 

You can apply online. However, you cannot make an application until your housing benefit has been reduced.

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

Discretionary Housing Payment policy (pdf 282kb opens in new window)

Our employment education and skills team can offer all sorts of advice and support to help you get back into work. 

Whether you are 18 or 58, our team work closely with local employers to match your skills and experience to jobs available.

Please find out more at the  Employment and skills page.

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.