Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Reconsiderations and appeals

Can I dispute a decision you have made?

If you want to know more about the decision we have made or think it is wrong, please let us know within one month of the date of the notification letter, to:

  • ask us for a explanation, or;
  •  ask us to reconsider the decision.

We will then:

  • look at the claim again and if the decision is wrong, we will change it.
  • if we cannot change the decision, we will tell you why.

There are a number of different ways you can contact us:



Use the link below to send us an online message:

Reconsider my claim (opens in new window)


Download, print and complete the following forms and return to the council:

Benefit Assessments
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
Cross Street
HU17 9BA

Dispute my housing benefit decision (pdf 174kb opens in new window)

Dispute my council tax support decision (pdf 420kb opens in new window)

Top of page

What can I not appeal against?

There are certain decisions that cannot be changed:

  • the local housing allowance (LHA) rate set by the Valuation Office
  • the broad rental market area (BRMA) that your home is in
  • discretionary housing payments (DHPs)
  • council tax discretionary reduction

A landlord or agent can only dispute a decision about:

  • who payment of housing benefit should go to
  • whether an overpayment can be recovered from the landlord or agent.
Top of page


What can I do if I still don't agree with a decision?

After your claim has been reconsidered, if you still feel that the decision is wrong, you can make an appeal.

The appeal process is different for housing benefit and council tax support.

Housing benefit

You must appeal within one month of us reconsidering the decision, by completing a form and returning it to us. You must sign your appeal for it to be accepted.

The below form can be downloaded, printed and returned to us, or you can visit your local customer service centre  to complete a form:

Disputing a decision form (pdf 174kb opens in new window)

The appeal will then be heard by an independent tribunal service.

Council tax support

You must appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal Service on telephone number 0300 1232035.

Or visit their website for further information about how to make an appeal.

Valuation Tribunal Service (external website, opens in new window)

Top of page


Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.