Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a working age benefit which will replace a range of existing benefits and will be phased in within the East Riding of Yorkshire in 2016.

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new single monthly payment for working age customers which  replaces six existing benefits:

  • Income-based jobseeker's allowance
  • Income-related employment and support allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credits 
  • Child Tax Credits. 

Universal Credit is an in and out-of-work benefit, and the claimant will make a single claim to the Department for Work and Pensions.

Additional information regarding Universal Credit, can be found on the Universal Credit website (external website, opens in new window)

Who can claim for Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is being rolled out across the country gradually.

You can  check your postcode to find out more information about when Universal Credit will be rolled out in your area.

If you are a family and have three or more children you will not be able to claim Universal Credit. 

You should make a claim for Housing Benefit & Council tax support.

To make a claim for any other benefits visit the GOV.UK website:

GOV.UK website (external website - opens in new window)

How do I make a claim for Universal Credit?

To make a claim for Universal Credit you need to complete an online application form:

Apply to make a claim for Universal Credit 

Before you start

Your session will time out and you’ll have to start again if you’re inactive for more than 20 minutes.

Make sure you have the following information before you start:

  • your postcode
  • your National Insurance number
  • details of the bank, building society or credit union account you want Universal Credit paid into
  • your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • details of your savings or other capital
  • details of any income that’s not from work, eg from an insurance plan
  • details of any other benefits you’re getting.

You might also need these details for people who live in your home, eg your partner.

It should take 20 to 40 minutes to complete your claim.

If you’re successful, you’ll usually get your first payment 1 month and 14 days after you made your claim.

If you pay council tax, you will also need to apply to make a claim for council tax support to the council.

The quickest way to apply for council tax support is by applying online:

Please note: this service will be unavailable from 8am - 12pm on Thursday 17 May. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Who do I contact for help making my online application?

Universal Credit hotline

Please contact the Universal Credit helpline if you need help making your claim online:

Live service: 0800 3289344

Full service: 0800 3285644

If you do not have access to the Internet at home, you can attend your local Jobcentre Plus office:

Jobcentre Plus (Beverley)
Crosskill House 
Mill Lane 
HU17 9JW

Jobcentre Plus (Goole) 
Mulberry House 
North Street 
DN14 5QB

Jobcentre Plus (Hessle)  
26 The Weir 
HU13 0RX

Jobcentre Plus (Bridlington)  
Crown Buildings 
Quay Road 
YO16 4LS

If you are unable to complete the online form yourself, please make an appointment at one of the following following Customer Service Centres:

  • Brough Petuaria Centre
  • Cottingham Customer Service Centre
  • Driffield Centre
  • Hessle Centre
  • Hornsea Customer Service Centre
  • Market Weighton Wicstun Centre
  • Pocklington Pocela Centre. 

 You can easily  check the opening times here.

I am under 22. Can I get help towards my rent?

From 1 April 2017, the housing cost element (help towards your rent) is removed for new claims in full Universal Credit service areas for single people aged 18-21 (within the East Riding this is currently "YO" postcodes from September 2017, and all other postcode area within the East Riding from April 2018). You cannot apply for housing benefit.

If you fall into any of the categories below you can still claim, if you:

  • are responsible for a child/qualifying young person
  • certain care leavers
  • received DLAC middle or higher rate of PIP(c)
  • a victim of domestic violence
  • people who cannot live with their parents for specific reasons
  • have earnings above national minimum wage for 16 hours per week.

I need help with budgeting my money and spending. Can you help?

We understand that some of our customers will need help managing their money as universal credit is paid monthly. 

We can help you to work out your total monthly income and your total monthly expenses by using our budgeting tool:

Budgeting tool (external website) 

When you have completed this we will tell you: 

  • what you spend your money on 
  • how to reduce your expenses 
  • how to maximise your income 
  • how we can help to pay off any debts 
  • how we can help you to save money for a time when you might need it.  

If you would like free and confidential help with budgeting from one of our benefit and debt advisors, simply email the completed budgeting tool to benefit.takeup@eastriding.gov.uk  

We will then ring you to make an appointment to see how we can help you. 

Last Updated: Friday, 16 March 2018