At the Adult Education Service we are committed to working with you to help achieve your business goals and succeed in today’s competitive market.
- advice and guidance to you and your staff
- flexible training in terms of times, duration, venues and content as we understand one of the biggest pressures on a business and its workforce is time
- signposting to a suitable provider if we are unable to meet your requirements.
In the East Riding we have continued to introduce Work Skills Clubs in partnership with Jobcentre Plus to provide skills improvement and employability support to the unemployed. Many of our courses provide learners with the vital skills and self-confidence needed to be work ready or to make that career change they may have been thinking about. We have introduced new courses for business which you can see below.
We have purpose built adult education centres in Bridlington and Cottingham which can provide an excellent venue for conferences as well as being great places to learn. Also, we have recently installed video-conferencing equipment in our Bridlington, Cottingham and Goole adult education centres. In the near future this will be available as a new way to learn and will help us in providing this wider range of courses across the East Riding of Yorkshire. Market Hill adult education centre, situated in the heart of Hedon, can also be hired for meetings or training. This venue has ICT facilities, whiteboard and can seat up to 12 delegates. Some free parking is available in Hedon close to the venue.
We offer a variety of courses that run at different times throughout the academic year. Some of the courses on offer for 2012/13 include:
Apprenticeships, Business Health, Employee courses, Setting up in business, Website Building/Marketing, Work Skills Clubs
We are pleased for this year to be introducing Apprenticeship training programmes for young people and adults. These frameworks will provide off the job training, on the job assessment and a range of accredited qualifications for those looking to work in a particular sector or for those adults looking to progress within their chosen careers. We are looking to develop them in several areas, including:
child care sector
Did you know there could be funding available to you if you take on a young person as an Apprentice? The Apprenticeship Grant for Employers of 16 to 24 year olds (AGED 16 to 24) is aimed at helping eligible employers to offer young people employment through the Apprenticeship programme, by providing wage incentives to assist employers in recruiting their first apprentice. The National Apprenticeship Service will provide up to 40,000 Apprenticeship grants to small-medium sized employers recruiting 16 to 24 year olds with a value of £1,500 to encourage new employers to take on apprentices.
Please contact the Cottingham Adult Education centre and ask to speak to Sue Pylee for more information on Apprenticeships, or alternatively you can visit the National Apprenticeship Service website.
National Apprenticeship Service website (external website)
Top of page
Top of page
- We offer 4 different NVQ Certificate and Diploma courses:
- Business Administration NVQ Award and Certificate Level 2
- Business Administration Level 3
- Customer Service NVQ Certificate Level 2
- Team Leader NVQ Certificate Level 2
These programmes are available for those who are employed in any administrative, Customer Service or Team Leader roles (either voluntary or paid work) who would like to improve their skills and competences and gain an appropriate level certificate or diploma. The programmes are delivered/assessed via one-to-one meetings with an assessor, mostly at the learner's place of work, where the learner will gain advice and support to keep them on track. Please contact your local adult education centre for entry requirements and costs
- Food Safety in Catering - CIEH level 2 Certificate - this one day course is aimed at all food handlers work within any sector of the food industry. The areas covered include bacteria, food poisoning, contamination of food, pest control, personal hygiene and legislation. For anyone aged 16-18 this course is free + the exam fee.
- NEW - ECDL Workshop - the European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) is the internationally recognised qualification that enables people to demonstrate their competency in computer skills. Join a workshop and work towards your qualification flexibly and with individual support from the workshop tutor. The first week is free and without obligation. You will carry out a skills assessment and receive Information, Advice and Guidance about the qualification level that best suits you. You will be advised of the fees should you wish to continue.
Text/Word Processing Workshop Levels 1 to 3 - this course offers Text (previously copy typing) and Word processing at three levels to suit individual needs. These courses are designed to teach learners how to produce a range of business documents to meet the requirements of employment and are considered to be one of the most highly regarded secretarial qualifications, counting towards an NVQ in Business and Administration. Please note the first week is free and without obligation. You will carry out a skills assessment and receive Information, Advice and Guidance about the qualifications or courses that best suit you. You will be advised of the fees should you wish to continue.
NEW - Presentation and Training Skills, an introduction - this two day course provides a sound introduction to the concepts of a systematic approach to training. It is suitable for anyone who trains or would like to train other employees or volunteers in their organisation. The course includes planning, delivering and evaluating presentations and training, as well as motivation and assessment strategies
Top of page
Top of page
- Web Design Step One - covering the basic skills required to design and produce a personal web page using web design software. Existing basic computer skills necessary to be able to do this course.
- NEW - Skills for Self Employment: Marketing Masterclass - a two day course focusing on marketing strategy to help raise awareness of your product or service. The course will cover various methods of marketing including making the most of emerging opportunities using social media an websites optimisation techniques.
Top of page
- Work Skills Club - designed to help you gain the skills needed for employment. You will receive information, advice and guidance on careers and qualifications needed. You will undertake a skills assessment and have the opportunity to work towards Maths and English qualifications
- NEW - Work Skills Club Advanced - these are intensive courses for the unemployed, aimed at gaining skills in specific vocational areas of interest. You will work towards achieving either an Award or Certificate in Employability focusing on either employment or enterprise skills
If there is a course you would like that we do not currently offer, please contact your local adult education centre to discuss your requirements or contact us via the green box at the top of this page.Top of page
There are eight main adult education centres around the East Riding of Yorkshire and many of our courses are taught in these centres. Throughout the year we also use over 100 additional external venues for courses so there should usually be a venue close to you that will have something run by the adult education service. For more information on the venues, please see the venue details page.
As a business, you may feel it more appropriate for us to run a course for your staff from your premises. Please call your local adult education centre in order to discuss your needs.
Top of page
Course costs vary, depending on the duration and type of course, and your personal circumstances (for example, if you’re on certain benefits or you’re taking a particular qualification). For more information on course types, concessions and paying by instalments, please see our how much it costs page.
Top of page
Please use our interactive course finder where you can search for courses by title, subject or location.
You can also contact your nearest adult education centre where our friendly staff will be happy to give you more information about courses that interest you.
If you know what course you want to do but do not want to book online, please see the how to enrol page for more information on the alternative ways to book your course.
Top of page