What's in our archives

How do I search your catalogue and view items?

You can search our online catalogue to find items you would like to view at the archives service within the Treasure House. Once you have found an item that you would like to view, make a note of the item's finding number, then order documents and request an appointment by completing the archives service request form (opens in a new window). You can request multiple items at once through this form. You can request copies of some items for a small charge.

The online catalogue doesn't display the item itself. The catalogue has information about all the archive collections and some of the local studies collections. Our catalogue will give you detailed descriptions of our collections which you can then view at the archives service within the Treasure House. Items are viewed in the archives and local studies research room at no charge

Top of page

What records do you hold?

The archives and local studies service holds documents and books about the East Riding of Yorkshire dating from the 12th century to the present day. They cover a wide range of subjects and have come from many different organisations and local people, including major family, estate and business archives.

Below is a list of items in our collection, click an item to read a brief summary:

East Riding Quarter Sessions.

The East Riding Quarter Sessions were the quarterly meetings of the Justices of the Peace in the County. They survive from the 17th century, and from the 18th century contain detailed records of crimes committed. As well as handling crime and justice, the Quarter Sessions had a wide range of other duties. They administered county roads and bridges, prisons, poor relief, the police, lunatic asylums, alehouses, elections and religious meeting places.

East Riding Register of Deeds.

The East Riding Register of Deeds was established in 1708 and contains copies of deeds for the East Riding and Hull up to April 1974. The Register is a valuable source for legal searches, house history and family history. The registers are indexed but you will need to know the name of the buyer or seller of a property to use them.

The following pdf document provides information on how to use Register of Deeds.

Using the East Riding Register of Deeds leaflet (pdf 34kb opens in a new window)

Local Government records.

We hold records from all of the old local authorities in the East Riding. These range from the archives of ancient medieval boroughs like Beverley and Hedon to recent records of local government.

We have records of nineteenth century Local Boards of Health, Rural Sanitary Authorities and Highway Boards. There are also records from Humberside County Council 1974-1996, East Riding County Council 1889-1974, Borough Councils 1974-1996 and Urban and Rural District Councils 1895-1974.

Other archives of local government include Poor Law Unions 1834-1930, Public Assistance Committees 1930-1948, School Boards 1870-1903 and Parish Councils 1889-current. There are also records of Burial Boards and other cemetery records containing registers of persons buried.

Cemetery records.

We have records of cemeteries including registers of people buried. These are records of cemeteries run by a local or parish council. Records of people buried in church graveyards are held in parish registers.

The following pdf document is a list of cemetery records we hold.

Cemetery records leaflet (pdf 38kb opens in new window)

There are also cemetery records held by the cemeteries service. Other cemeteries are run by Parish Councils.

School records.

We hold archives from East Riding schools and also some schools in Hull that used to be run by Humberside County Council. School archives often contain the head teacher’s log books with a daily record of school life or admission registers. The archives of the East Riding County Council also have information about schools, such as reports of inspectors or plans of school buildings. We also hold a series of school grant plans 1844-1873.

We have archives from two independent schools, Pocklington School 1525-1972 and Marist (Roman Catholic) College, Hull 1925-1988. There are also archives from two reformatory schools, the Castle Howard Reformatory School, Hull 1894-1987 and St Williams Community Home (formerly Yorkshire Catholic Reform School) 1849-1991.

Public records.

Public records are the archives of national government that are kept locally. These include records of the Hull and East Riding Coroner 1853-1994 containing registers of deaths; local courts such as Magistrates Courts and Petty Sessions 1841-1992; Health Authorities and Hospitals from 1948 including the archives of the East Riding County Asylum (Broadgates Hospital) from 1871; accounts of local charities and registers of ships for Bridlington 1786-1847 and Goole 1828-1994.

Other official records.

There are lots of other official archives. There are records of bodies that carried out drainage schemes such as the Commissioners of Sewers 1587-1933, Drainage Commissioners 1764-1958 and Drainage Boards 1936-1992.

We do not hold archives of the armed forces, which are kept at the National Archives, but we do have records of the East Riding Lieutenancy and militia 1756-1915 and also for Territorial and Auxiliary Forces 1907-1964. If you are interested in the home front during the Second World War we have archives of the local Home Guard 1940-1944 and Civil Defence 1938-1960s.

There are also records of turnpike trust roads 1765-1871 and licensing of motor vehicles in the East Riding 1905-1976.

Police records.

We hold the archives of Humberside Police, which includes records of the East Riding Constabulary 1856-1974 and the Hull City Police 1836-1974.

Religious records.

We hold the parish registers and other records for parishes in the East Riding Archdeaconry, which includes Hull and Scarborough but excludes some parts of the East Riding. Parish registers record the names of people baptised, married and buried in the parish. Parish archives do have a lot of information about the social life of the parish and can include documents about poor relief, looking after roads and local constables.

We also hold records of nonconformist churches such as Methodists, Baptists and Congregationalist and some Quaker records. Registers from some Catholic churches are also available on microfiche.

Family and estate records.

We hold a large number of important collections of East Riding family and estate records as well as solicitors’ archives containing family and estate records.

These archives contain a wide variety of subject matter. There may be deeds of the estates, manorial records and records of the management of the estate. There can be documents about a family’s social, political, religious or sporting interests and about their military service or travel abroad.

Some of the biggest archives of this kind held in the Treasure House are listed below with their collection reference numbers.

The collection browser page on our online catalogue allows you to browse what is in some of these collections.

Businesses, societies and other private records.

We hold many other collections of privately deposited or donated records. These include the archives of businesses, clubs and societies, political groups, trade unions, charities and smaller collections of family papers.

The archives of Hodgson’s tannery, Beverley 1812-1975, Keyingham Friendly Society 1830-1997 and the East Riding branch of the National Farmers Union 1918-1988 are good examples of this type of record.


We hold a wide variety of maps for the East Riding.

The following pdf leaflet provides a list of some of the maps we hold.

Maps guide (word 25kb opens in new window)

Ordnance Survey maps covering the East Riding are available on 6” to 1 mile scale c.1855-1950s and 25” to 1 mile scale c.1890-1927 and 2.5 inch to 1 mile, 1:10,000 and 1:2,500 post 1945.

The Treasure House 'Archive Maps' page provides access to historic Ordnance Survey maps held by the East Riding Archives and Local Studies Service. The collection of over 2000 historic Ordnance Survey maps covering the period 1855-1929 has been digitised to provide online access.

Archive Maps (external East Riding website)

We also hold enclosure maps dating from the mid-18th century, tithe maps 1837-1929, and estate maps, the earliest of which date from the early 18th century.

Electoral registers.

The archives and local studies together hold a large collection of electoral registers. These registers contain lists of people who were able to vote and date from 1832.

Books, pamphlets and journals.

We hold a wide range of books and pamphlets covering Beverley and the East Riding, but also representing Yorkshire, Humberside, North Riding, West Riding, Hull and York. A range of local and regional journals is also available.


We hold local newspapers dating from the 18th century to the present day and covering most of the historic East Riding. Newspapers are held either on microfilm or in bound volumes where a microfilm version does not exist.

Trade directories

We hold a collection of trade directories for the East Riding and some for the North Riding, dating from 1791-1939. Arranged by place, trade directories provide historical information about a place and listings of businesses and some individuals.

Poll Books.

Poll books contain the names of individuals who voted in elections and who they voted for. We hold poll books for elections for Yorkshire 1741 and 1807, East Riding 1837 and 1868 and Beverley 1784-1868. Other poll books are also held in the Archive collection.

Parish magazines.

We hold a good collection of parish magazines mainly covering the 20th century. Other copies of parish magazines can be found in parish records in the archives.

Postcards and photographs.

We hold an extensive collection of postcards of Beverley and East Riding towns and villages and a collection of photographs including a number of aerial views.


We hold a large collection of posters and printed material including Beverley play bills c.1790-c.1854, election posters c.1790-1868 and posters and programmes for various dates.

Top of page

What parish registers do you hold?

Church of England registers

Church of England churches keep records of baptisms, marriages and burials. These are not the same as birth or death certificates.

We hold registers of baptisms, marriages and burials from churches in the East Riding Archdeaconry. This is a church area which does not match the area of the East Riding of Yorkshire Council. It includes Hull and Scarborough. The records of some churches in the East Riding are held elsewhere.

The following document is a list of the parish registers we hold.

Parish register list (pdf 47kb opens in new window)

Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers

We also have registers and records from other churches and chapels. These are from nonconformist churches, which are not part of the Church of England. These include Baptist, Methodist, Congregational and United Reformed churches. We also have registers from some Roman Catholic churches available on microfiche.

The following document is a list of non Church of England registers we hold.

Non Church of England register list (pdf 46kb opens in new window)

Searching the registers

Most of the parish registers we hold can be seen on microfiche in our research room. This saves the original registers from damage.

To look at parish registers or enquire about booking a microfiche reader please contact us by completing the archives service request form (opens in a new window). 

Where else to find parish registers

We do not hold all the parish registers for the East Riding. When a parish is in another archdeaconry it's records are held at another archive office, these are:

Borthwick Institute, York (external website)

Doncaster Archives (external website)

North Yorkshire County Record Office (external website)

West Yorkshire Archive Service (external website)

Top of page

Do you hold birth, marriage or death certificates?

Birth, marriage and death certificates were introduced in 1837. Before then, records were kept by churches of baptism, marriages and burials.

Births and deaths are recorded by Register Offices. To find out how to get copies of birth, marriage and death certificates, visit the copies of registration certificates page. 

We hold records of baptisms, marriages, and burials held in Church of England churches in the parish registersTop of page

Can you help me with house or property history?

We have local history books and documents that can help you with the history of a house or property. We also hold the archive of the East Riding Register of Deeds, which kept copies of deeds for houses and properties in the East Riding and Hull from 1704 to 1974.

Tracing the history of a house or property and finding out about the people who lived there can be fascinating. It can be time-consuming because you often need to look at a lot of books and documents. It is usually best to start with known facts about your house and work backwards in time step by step. It is best to start with books first and find out what you can before you start looking at documents.

The following is a leaflet about tracing the history of your house.

Tracing the history of your house leaflet (pdf 42kb opens in a new window)

We have a large collection of local books and town and village histories. There are lots of documents that can help you trace the history of a house such as maps, directories, censuses, electoral registers, local rate books and tax lists, deeds, estate records, building registers and plans and photographs.

An important archive for finding out about the history of a house or property is the East Riding Register of Deeds. This was started in 1708 and kept copies of deeds for the East Riding and Hull up to April 1974. The East Riding Register of Deeds is also important for legal searches as well as the history of properties.

The following is a leaflet about how to use the Register of Deeds.

Using the East Riding Register of Deeds leaflet (pdf 33kb opens in a new window)

There are local studies libraries in Bridlington Library and Goole Library that have books and local collections that might help you with the history of a house or property in those places.

Top of page

Do you have film and sound archives?

Yes we hold film and sound archive recordings relating to the East Riding.

A special area in the archives and local studies research room has been set aside for visitors to look at film and sound archives.

To view some of our archive videos, you can also visit the East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s YouTube channel:

East Riding Council channel - YouTube (external link)

Look out for new uploads as they are added! Some of our latest uploads include:

  • Elsie Yates on life as a female police constable during the Second World War:
Elsie Yates audio - YouTube (external website)
  • ‘The Man With The Notebook’ road safety film (1946):
The Man with the Notebook video - YouTube (external link)
  • Ghostbusters UK short documentary about a local paranormal investigation unit (1993):
Ghostbusters UK video - YouTube (external link)
  • Beverley’s old Friary Gate on the move, Eastgate, Beverley (14th June 1964):
Beverley's Old Friary Gate video - YouTube (external link)


You can view videos of local towns and villages, local industries, railways, event ghosts and crab fishing!


You can listen to interviews with local people about their lives and experiences, hear local music and church services of the past.

Documents and photographs (digital)

You can view digital trade directories, maps, archaeology brief reports and photographs.


To use the film and sound archive you must book in advance.

Please complete the archives service request (opens in a new window) or ring (01482) 392790 to make a booking.

Do you have any film, sound or digital document collections?

We are happy to received any film and sound recordings or digital document records to add to our collections. The digital records we create today will become the history of tomorrow, so if you have something you think is worth preserving and would like to give to us, please let us know by completing the archives donation form (opens in a new window. Top of page

Do you have maps?

We hold a wide variety of historical maps for the East Riding. This ranges from printed county maps and Ordnance Survey maps through to more specialised maps such as enclosure , tithe and estate maps.

The following leaflet provides a list of some of the maps we hold.

Maps guide (pdf 25kb opens in new window)

Our 'Archives Maps' page lets you see our old Ordnance Survey maps online. This is a collection of over 2000 Ordnance Survey maps covering the years 1855-1929 that have been scanned to give you online access.

Archive Maps (external East Riding website)

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.