Libraries consultation and proposal

Find out more and have your say


Registering a birth

Who can register a birth?

If the parents were married to each other at the time of the birth either the mother or the father can register the baby. If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the birth the father's details can only be entered in the register in the following circumstances:

  • where the mother and the father attend together to register the birth
  • where the father is unable to attend with the mother it is possible for him to
    make a statutory declaration, confirming that he is the father, the mother should give this to the registrar

Statutory Declaration on Parentage (pdf 28.5kb - opens in new window)

  • where the mother cannot attend the office with the father, it is possible for her to make a statutory declaration, confirming the name of the father, which the father should give to the registrar
  • where either parent has obtained a relevant court order this should be given to the registrar who will advise further
  • the mother can register the birth on her own without any of the above but, the father's details will not be recorded in the register. Please remember one of the parents must register the birth in person. They cannot ask a friend or relative to register the birth on their behalf.

Top of page

Where can I register a birth?

Your baby’s birth must be registered in the registration district in which it occurred
within 42 days. If your baby was born within East Riding of Yorkshire we will
register the birth and issue the birth certificate immediately. You can make an
appointment at any one of our offices. Find your nearest registration office.

Top of page

How much does it cost to register a birth?

There is no cost to register a birth; you will also receive a short copy birth certificate
free of charge at the time of registration. There is a charge if you require a full copy birth certificate which will include parent’s details. Many parents purchase a full copy certificate which includes parent's details at the time of registration as this version will be needed when applying for a passport or to open a bank account for the child. Copies requested after the birth registration has been completed will cost more.

Top of page

What happens during a registration and how long will it take?

The registration will take between 15 to 30 minutes. The registrar will enter details
on to the computer and print the register page. You will be asked to check the details and sign the register page. A free short birth certificate, which does not include parent's details will then be given to you. If the registration is by declaration the registrar will send the details on to the office in the district where the birth took place and the birth certificate will be sent to you through the post.

Top of page

Can I register a birth that has taken place outside of the East Riding?

If your baby was born outside East Riding of Yorkshire we cannot register the birth
but, we can record the details and forward those onto the appropriate register office and the birth certificate will then be sent to you by post. This is called a registration by declaration. You can make an appointment at any one of our offices in either case. Find your nearest registration office. 

Top of page

What happens if I cannot register the birth within 42 days?

After six weeks you will get a formal letter demanding that the birth is registered. If
you do not attend after receiving this formal notice you are liable to prosecution. If you are likely to have any difficulty attending within the 42 day period please let us know. We may be able to extend the period if there are good reasons for doing so.


Alternatively you can contact us on (01482) 393600.

Top of page

Do I need to bring the baby with me when I register?

You are welcome to bring the baby with you but, it is not necessary.

Top of page

What information will the registrar want at the time of registration?

For the baby:

  • date and place of the baby’s birth (time if there was more than one baby born)
  • the sex of the baby(ies)
  • first name(s) and surname (please be clear on spellings)

For the mother:

  • your first name(s) and surname, maiden name if you are or have been married
  • any other names that you are using now or have used in the past
  • your date and place of the birth
  • your address at the time of the birth
  • your occupation at the time of birth, or any time before
  • if you are married the date of your marriage
  • the number of children that you have given birth to before.

For the father (if his details are to be entered in the register):

  • first name(s) and surname
  • any other names that you are using now or have used in the past
  • date and place of the birth occupation at the time of the birth or at any time before
  • if married, date of the marriage

Top of page

What if English is not my first language?

If English is not your first language and you would like someone to help with the
registration, you should ask a friend or relative to come with you to the register office. But, please remember you must register the birth personally, you cannot ask a friend or relative to come in instead.

Top of page

What if I am in a same sex relationship?

If you were in a same sex relationship with a female partner at the time the baby was conceived your partner’s details may be entered into the register as ‘Parent’ of the child.

Top of page

Can my baby’s father’s details be added at a later date?

If the father’s details were not included in the original registration it is possible to re-register the birth to include these details in the future.

The Directgov website can provide you with an application form to re-register a child birth record.

Directgov - changing a birth record (external website)

Top of page


What is the Tell Us Once Service?

When you have a new baby, there are lots of things that need to be done. One of these is contacting the government departments and local council services that need to be told about the birth. Until now, you had to contact all of them individually.

East Riding Registration Services is offering a free service when you register the birth which we hope will make things easier for you. This service means that you can just “Tell Us Once” and we will do the rest on your behalf. Please remember to bring the completed child benefit form and accompanying envelope in order that we may be able to post this for you.

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.