Breaks for carers (respite care)

How to take short breaks from your care duties, what services are available, who is eligible to access respite care services, how much services cost and how to access them. 

What short break services for carers are available?    

You can choose to either: 


Council-provided services

We provide a number of services to support eligible carersto take short breaks from their care duties. These include:

  • carer relief sitting service
  • flexible breaks service
  • short breaks for carers, and
  • carer emergency cover service.

Relief sitting service

A worker from our carer relief service provides care in the home of the person cared for.

Flexible breaks

Similar to the carer relief sitting service (above), but paid for out of a personal budget. This enables you to pre-book care cover while you take a break.

Short leisure breaks

The Carers Support Service can arrange a short leisure break for carers at either: 

  • a caravan at Southcliff Caravan Park in Bridlington, or 
  • in a two bedroom cottage in the grounds of Sewerby Hall.

Southcliff Caravan Park website (external website)

Sewerby Hall and Gardens website (external council website)

How long is a 'short break'?

The length of the break taken by a carer depends on who is providing the respite care services.

Council-provided respite care

If your short break services are provided by the council, your short break care will likely be organised for a few days at a time spread throughout the year. If you need to take a longer break from your care duties, you will need to discuss this with your care management worker. 

Don't have a care management worker? You probably are not known to adult care services. Before you can access any council-provided respite care, you should contact customer servicesto organise an assessment of how the council can support you.

Going on holiday? The council cannot provide care cover for you if you are going on holiday. You will need to pay for private care to stay in a residential care homeor through another private respite careprovider. 

Respite care in a residential care home

If your respite care is provided by a residential care home, the length of your stay will depend on space available in the care home. 

You may also need to consider the cost of the stay in the residential home, as prices in most homes will increase with the length of the visit. 

Read more on how to organise a stay in a residential care home.

Private providers of respite care

If you are paying for private respite care, then the length of the stay is dependent on how long you want to pay for. 

Do private providers offer respite care?

Yes - similar services are provided by independent care providers in the area. 

Details of these can be found on the East Riding Connect to Support website:

Connect To Support - East Riding (external website)

Please note: private providers may charge a fee for their services. You should speak to your care worker to check that this can be paid for out of your personal budget.

How can I get cover in an emergency?

If you are unable to provide care due to personal accident or emergency, the Carers Support Service can work with you to organise contingency care plans for anyone you are responsible for.

You can read more about organising care cover in an emergency on the help and support for carers page

How do I organise a short stay in a residential care home?

To arrange a short stay in a residential care home, contact the care home directly to discuss the availability and cost of their services.

You can find contact details of care homes in your area in the care directory and find more information on care homes on the residential care home page.

Who is eligible to request short break support?

To access any short break services from the council, carers must

  • be aged 18 or over, and
  • have received a carers assessment. Find out how to get carers assessment on the help and support for carers page. 

Not had a carers' assessment?

Contact the Carers Support Service for information on how to get assessed.

Please note: Services also have individual eligibility criteria. See the information below for the criteria for each service. 

Eligibility criteria for available short break services

Carer relief sitting service: For carers of adults with a diagnosis of a memory impairment.

Flexible breaks for carers: For carers in receipt of a personal budget, caring for a person over 18-years-old who is in receipt of a  personal budget.

Short breaks for carers: For carers caring for a person over 18-years-old.

Carer emergency cover: For carers caring for a person over 18-years-old and who have been set up with a Carers Contact Card.

Will I have to pay for short break services?

This depends on who is providing your short break care. 

Most council-provided short break services are free, however there is a charge for the flexible breaks service which is payable from your personal budget.

If you are accessing private short break care, or organising a stay in a residential care home, you will need to contact the provider directly to discuss the costs of their services.  

How can I access council-provided short break services?

You will need to contact customer services who will take your details and forward them onto the relevant team:

Tel: (01482) 393939

You can also send us an enquiry (opens in new window)

Based on the information that you provide, a decision will be made as to whether you need an assessment, and someone from an adult care management team will discuss the process with you.

Please note: if you are already receiving services from adult social care, any further requests should be made through your care worker. 

Last Updated: Friday, 02 September 2016