Information for school-age children

How do I apply for a school place?

Applying for a school place

Parents who want their child to start at a primary school for the first time in the 2014/2015 school year or to transfer from a primary to a secondary school in September 2014 will have to apply for a school place this autumn.

For information about schools and issues relating to your child's education please visit the Schools, colleges and academiespage.

Here you will find information about the following and much more:

  • Find your nearest school
  • Information on nursery, primary and secondary schools, academies, free schools, special schools, pupil referral units, home education
  • Term dates
  • School closures
  • School attendance
  • Behaviour and exclusion
  • School transport

Top of page

What is a choice adviser and how can they help me?

The FISH manager and the parent partnership coordinator are the choice advisers for the East Riding.  A choice adviser can help you to apply for a primary or secondary school place or provide guidance on the appeals process.

Call FISH on (01482) 396469 for more details. 

Top of page

My child has additional needs, what help is there?

Every school must have a teacher with training and/or experience of Special Educational Needs (SEN) to be the Special Educational Needs coordinator (SENCO).

The SENCO will review the additional or different help your child receives with you to ensure that he/she is making good progress and to set new targets. 

The Parent Partnership Service (PPS) can help you with more information about support for children with special/additional needs in school. You can contact the Parent Partnership Service on 01482 392108

To view other services available for children with additional needs please visit the Additional Needspage on the FISH website.

For more information about your child in school please have a look at the following leaflet:

Your child in school - Information for parents and carers leaflet (pdf 5mb opens in new window)


Top of page

My child needs collecting from school, where can I find childcare?

FISH have information about Ofsted-registered childcare including childminders and out of school clubs who can provide care for children before and after school and in school holidays.

For any questions about the different childcare options available, opening times, cost and Ofsted inspection grades, contact FISH on 01482 396469 or email on fish@eastriding.gov.uk

To search for childcare in your area you can browser the FISH directory (opens in new window)

Top of page

Is my child entitled to free school meals?

Your child may be entitled to free school meals if you are on a low income and in receipt of a qualifying benefit. For more information and to find out if your child is entitled to free school meals or to complete an online application please visit Free school meals.

Alternatively, you can contact the benefits team on 01482 394799

Top of page

Can I take my child out of school for a term time holiday?

You can take your child out of school for a term time holiday in certain circumstances. To find out more information about school attendance please visit Attendance in school.

Top of page

What is a Parent Support Adviser and how can they help me?

A parent support adviser's main role is to encourage parents and their children to get the very best from school. They offer children and families early intervention, support, guidance and advice working in partnership with schools, parents, carers and other agencies.

A parent support adviser can provide:

  • confidential support for parents/carers
  • advice on improving home-school relationships
  • support with your child's behaviour and emotional development
  • access to structured parenting courses
  • help when your child is changing classes or moving school
  • signposting to other agencies
  • help to overcome barriers to your child’s learning.

For more information about Parent Support Advisers please contact the FISH team on (01482) 396469.

Top of page

What is the Youth and Family Support Service and how can they help me?

The Youth and Family Support Service is available to help young people aged nine-19 and up to 25 years if you have learning difficulties or a disability.

They can help you to access whatever kind of support you need such as:

  • information, advice and guidance on careers, jobs and training
  • support to help you with difficulties you may be facing in life
  • information and support to take part in activities, volunteering and participation
  • counselling support services
  • sexual health and substance misuse services
  • street-based and mobile youth work.

You can contact the Youth and Family Support Service on (01482) 392824 or by email on yfs@eastriding.gov.uk.

For more information please visit Youth and Family Support Serviceor search for other useful services.

Top of page

Where can I find out more about mental health and emotional wellbeing?

If you are living with or supporting someone with a mental health problem, having access to the right information about a condition, treatment options, or practical issues - is vital. There are lots of different types of mental health conditions that you may like to know more about such as:

  • depression, stress or anxiety
  • eating disorders
  • substance misuse
  • self harm
  • personality disorders
  • obsessive compulsive disorder – OCD
  • suicidal feelings

If you are looking for information about any of the above or would like to know more about any other mental health conditions affecting children and young people, please visit Mental health advice for younger peoplewhere you will find useful links to websites and details of the Youth and Family Support counselling service.

Top of page


Where can I find out about careers and training?

The Youth and Family Support Service can help you with enquirers regarding apprenticeships, volunteering, careers and training.

If you are aged between 14 and 19 and are looking for information and support to plan your future learning you could also visit the Log on Move on website (external website).

For more information browse the FISH directory (opens in new window)

Top of page

What other support is available to me as a parent?

There are many local and national services that can offer advice and support to parents.  If you would like help finding the right service or organisation to help you and your family please contact FISH on (01482) 396469 or email on fish@eastriding.gov.uk, alternatively you can browse the FISH directory to search for childcare, support and services.

Top of page

What activities are available for my child?

For information about what activities are available across the East Riding please visit the Activitiespage on the FISH website. If you have a child with additional needs and would like to have a look at activities which are disability specific you can find out more on the FISH directory (opens in new window).

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.