Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Adult services

What is the domestic violence adult service?

The Domestic Violence adult service offers support to people living with or fleeing from domestic violence and abuse. The service is available to any resident in the East Riding. Domestic Violence adult service workers provide information, advice, guidance, and both emotional and practical support around legal options, housing, welfare benefits, staying safely at home and in high risk cases, finding somewhere else to stay. We can help you remain safely in your home by providing home security measures, including lifeline alarms, fire checks and personal alarms. Domestic Violence adult service supports any victim of 16 years or over.

The following leaflet provides information on the DVAP service.

DVAP Information Leaflet (pdf 245kb opens in new window)

Top of page

Am I a victim of domestic violence and abuse?

The domestic violence team see people every day who have been subjected to a range of abuse from either a partner, ex-partner or family member. Often this abuse has gone on for some time before people seek help. The abuse can take different forms and may include:

  • physical assault
  • rape
  • sexual abuse
  • threats
  • harassment/intimidation
  • coercive control
  • mental
  • and verbal abuse, systematic criticism and humiliation and not being free to go anywhere or do anything on your own or with your friends and family.

Anyone can be a victim regardless of their personal circumstances.

The government defines domestic abuse  as "Any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional) between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality." This includes issues of concern to black and minority ethnic (BME) communities such as so called 'honour killings.

Domestic violence adult service supports any victim of 16 years or over.

Top of page

Who can you ask for help?

Domestic violence adult service will work with anyone who is a victim of domestic violence or abuse aged 16 years or over. Please make contact if you would like guidance, support or if you just want to talk about the situation using the general enquiry on the right hand side of the page.

Top of page

How do I get help from the service?

You can get help from the service by visiting your nearest customer service centre and asking for a referral to be made to domestic violence adult service. You can make a referral for adult domestic violence online (opens in new window).

Alternatively you cancall our confidential helpline on (01482) 396330.

The helpline is for anyone who wants to find out what services are available, or who just want to talk about their situation and seek some initial guidance/advice. This could be some one who is currently in an abusive relationship or has experienced domestic abuse in the past, or for people who are concerned about someone they know and care about who is in this situation. We will not ask you to identify yourself but you can find out what help is available and how to access support.

Whichever way you initially access our services, the person you speak to will fill in a referral form with you which allows us to take key information This will include: your name, current address, an alternative safe address, a safe contact number and a brief description of why you would like support.

Top of page

What kind of help do you offer?

You can call in to your nearest customer service centre and ask for a referral to domestic violence adult service. Find your nearest customer service centre. 

If you would just like to talk to some one in a confidential setting about your experiences you can contact the domestic violence confidential helpline on (01482) 396330. This is not a 24 hour service - if you are in immediate danger call 999.
Please be aware that phone numbers will appear on your phone bill.

A referral can be made for you by someone else on your behalf e.g. social worker if you have given your consent for them to do so.
When we receive a referral we will contact you within seven days. If you are homeless or at immediate risk of further violence we will arrange to see you as soon as possible.

We will arrange to meet you in a safe place to assess your support needs and maybe identify other agencies that might be able to help you. At this meeting you might want to discuss areas such as:

  • personal safety
  • housing
  • home safety
  • family issues
  • health
  • welfare benefits
  • legal options
  • access to other services
  • legal options 

The service has a 'Be safe, leave safe, stay safe' leaflet that contains useful information about preparing to leave, protecting yourself in an emergency, keeping safe when you have left, useful telephone numbers to consider and suggested things that you could take.

Be safe, leave safe, stay safe leaflet (pdf 649kb opens in new window) 

Domestic violence adult service also runs the Freedom Programme and also a group programme that supports family members that are abused by their own children / grandchildren. The Child on Parent Abuse group runs for eight weeks and further information is available when you contact us. DVAP understands that domestic abuse is not just a partner-on-partner issue and therefore established this specialist group programme.

Top of page

Can you house me somewhere safe?

The service has a range of options which can help you to remain safely in your own home or return after safety measures have been put in place. 

We can also offer assistance to help you find somewhere else to live in the East Riding or in some circumstances out of the area.

Top of page

How do you decide what is an urgent referral?

There is a high demand for the service and you may be placed on a waiting list.  However, if you are homeless, with nowhere to stay on the day of referral, including having no family or friends to stay with, you will receive additional priority, as will be the case if you are at high risk of physical harm and will be contacted as soon as possible.

Top of page

Is the service confidential?

The service is confidential and information will only be shared with other agencies with your agreement.  You will be asked to sign a consent to share form which allows you to say which agencies we can share, store, receive or request information from. There are, however, three exceptions to this. If we feel that a child / young person or a vulnerable adult is at significant risk of harm we have a duty to report our concerns to social services, following child protection and safeguarding adult procedures. Also, in certain circumstances, if we think there is a risk of a crime being committed against you we will share information in order to offer further protection.

Top of page

What is the East Riding Domestic Violence and Abuse Strategy?

The Domestic Violence and Abuse Strategy sends a clear statement from all the agencies involved in working with those adults and children affected by violence and abuse that it will not be tolerated. The Strategy can be viewed following the link below.

East Riding Domestic Violence and Abuse Strategy 2016-2020 (pdf 353kb opens in new window)

The East Riding Safeguarding Children Board has developed a Domestic Abuse Strategy – Children, Young People and Families document, which links into the wider local authority Domestic Abuse Strategy.  A copy of the Children, Young People and Families Strategy can be accessed using the link below.

East Riding Safeguarding Children Board (external website)

Top of page


Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.