General help and advice

What services are available to people with disabilities?

If you or someone you care for is unable to carry out day to day tasks or live independently at home, there are various ways we can help. We have a disability resource team, which includes occupational therapy staff and sensory impairment
workers. The team provide assessment, advice and guidance for disabled people and carers who require assistance with activities of daily living. This can include:

  • equipment, advice and rehabilitation to clients with a sensory impairment
  • registration for people with a visual impairment. Further information about this can be found on the registering as disabled page.
  • minor and major adaptations to your living environment
  • referrals for means tested grant aid (for larger adaptations)


The team also has a rehabilitation officer to work with people with a visual impairment who can help with independent living skills, mobility and communication.

Find out if you are eligible for a blue badge.

Top of page


How can I access these services?

You will need to contact the council via the customer service network (CSN) on (01482) 393939.

Top of page


What equipment is available to people with disabilities?

Following assessment, these are some of the things that might be recommended:

  • aids to daily living 
  • toilet aids
  • bathing aids
  • self-care aids
  • grab rails
  • walking aids (please contact your GP surgery for walking aids) 
  • kitchen aids


Other needs may be provided for, such as

  • hoists
  • ceiling tracking
  • adaptations to improve access


It is anticipated that most aids will be required on a permanent basis, although there will be some equipment available for people who may only need it for a short while. 

If you are incapacitated and require short term loan equipment you can contact the relevant health service, either at your local neighbourhood care team, GP surgery or hospital consultant.

Top of page


Does the council provide adaptations or equipment for vehicles or mobility scooters?

The council does not provide adaptations or equipment for vehicles - these items would be purchased with your mobility allowance or the mobility portion of your disability living allowance (DLA). Further information about the disability living allowance can be found on the DirectGov website.

DirectGov - disability living allowance (external website)

Top of page


What support groups are available to people with disabilities?

The PRIME directory provides information on activities and groups throughout the East Riding. 

PRIME directory

Top of page

Is there a charge for services?

Equipment is free up to the cost of £1000.  Anything that costs more than this will be means tested.

This means that we will need to ask detailed questions upon accessing the service about savings, income, and some expenditure. This information is used to calculate the amount you pay towards the cost of the equipment. This makes sure that the amount you pay is fair.

Top of page


Where can I find fully accessible toilets?

The Changing Places group hold a list of toilets across the country that have the right equipment and adequate space to meet the needs of people who cannot use standard disabled toilets. The Changing Places website has information on the changing places campaign as well as a map showing all facilities across the country:

Changing Places (external website)

Changing places facilities are currently available at these locations across the East Riding of Yorkshire:

Beverley Leisure Complex
Beverley Leisure Complex Flemingate
Beverley, HU17 OLT
Tel: 01482 881127

South Cliff Gardens Public Conveniences
South Cliff Road Hilderthorpe Road
YO15 3QL Driffield Leisure Centre
Bridlington Road
Driffield, YO25 5HZ
Tel: 01377 257480

Bridlington Park and Ride
Located off the A165 from Bridlington to Hull/Beverley
Wilsthorpe roundabout.
YO15 3QN.

Francis Scaife Sports Centre
Burnby Lane, New Street,
Pocklington, YO42 2QE
Tel: 01759 305052

Goole Leisure Centre
North Street, Goole,
East Riding of Yorkshire, DN14 5QX
Tel: 01405 769005

Top of page

Rate this page