Registering as disabled

How do I register as disabled?

To register as being disabled, you will need to visit a customer services centreor telephone them on (01482) 393939.

The customer service advisor will pass your details on to adult social care services. Once a referral is made, you will be contacted and you may have to undertake an assessment, to establish what services would best suit you.

If you have a child you would like to register as disabled please contact Families Information Service Hub (FISH) on (01482) 396469 or visit the Families Information Service Hub (FISH) web page

The FISH team can help you sign up for services with LOOK AHEAD, which is a free service for parent carers of children with additional needs, arising out of a disability or health condition. This service is provided through FISH.

Top of page


How do I get a ‘radar key’ to access disabled toilets?

You will need to visit a customer service centre or call them on (01482) 393939, who will arrange for a key to be provided.

You will be required to provide proof of your disability or health issue that requires you to need access to disabled toilets. Radar keys are not just available to people with disabilities, you may be able to purchase a key if you have a health issue that requires you to use a toilet more frequently.

There is a non refundable charge of £2.50 for this service. This can be paid at any customer service centre by cash, credit/debit card or cheque.

Top of page


How do I register as deaf or blind?

You will not need to register directly with the council, as we will be informed via a referral from your hospital consultant.

Top of page



Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.