Hull & East Riding Citizens Advice Bureau

Where can I get legal advice?

The Hull & East Riding Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) is providing a new general advice service from 1 April 2013 to continue the vital support the Community Legal Advice (CLA) Network has delivered successfully for the past three years.

Although the CLA brand will not be seen from April, access to advice remains unchanged for many as the CAB will still be delivering it under their own brand and from the same offices in Bridlington, Beverley and Goole.

However, changes to legislation remove much of the scope to access free specialist advice funded through legal aid. The new arrangements will run for 12 months and can be contacted directly or through the customer service centres.

Find your nearest customer service centre

Top of page

What sorts of issues can we help with?

The CAB can offer advice and assistance on almost any subject, including:


Dealing with money issues can sometimes be off-putting, but if you don’t understand how things like credit or mortgages work, you could end up losing out financially or getting yourself deep in debt.

But you can avoid losing money and getting into debt if you have the right information to make informed choices. The CAB offers advice and information including help to deal with your debt problems, how to avoid losing your home and how to get your finances back into shape.

Welfare benefits

Benefits can be a minefield of issues if you are not sure what you are eligible to claim or how to go about making a claim. Many people do not claim the benefits that they are entitled to simply because they are not aware of them or how to access them.

The CAB provides advice and information on benefits and tax credits, council tax and housing costs, national insurance, arrears and issues with benefits.


Knowing your rights and how to make a grievance can often be the difference between keeping your job or being unfairly dismissed. If you are unsure of your rights, it is much harder to stand up against unfair or discriminatory behaviour.

The CAB can provide advice and information on workplace rights such as rights to pay, holidays and parental leave; contracts; discrimination; grievances; dismissal and discipline at work; self-employment; redundancy and the rights of young workers or those from overseas.


Housing issues will always arise and therefore you need to know your rights and responsibilities. You could also find yourself threatened with eviction if you can’t cope with your mortgage repayments.

The CAB offers advice and information on a whole range of housing issues, such as rent arrears, landlord issues, eviction notices and anti-social behaviour.

Community care

If you care for someone who cannot manage on their own, or are someone who receives regular care, you may be able to get advice and support. The CAB provides advice and information on what benefits or care services you are entitled to, how direct payments work, what support you can get to live at home and what help is available to you to live in a care home.

Other areas of advice

Whatever information you are looking for or advice you need, the CAB will either be able to provide it for you or direct you to a service that can.

Other common areas covered by this comprehensive generalist advice service include:

  • consumer problems

  • tax and utilities issues

  • general legal matters

  • discrimination and equalities issues

  • health-related problems

  • family issues

  • immigrations issues

  • and much more!

Top of page


How do I contact the CAB?

If you need free, confidential, expert advice, contacting us is simple.

By phone or email

Tel: 0300 3300 888
Monday to Friday 9.30am – 3.00pm
(Calls charged at local rate)

Email:  e-advice.eastyorkshire@cabnet.org.uk

In person

Drop in to your nearest advice centre:


5a Prospect Arcade
East Yorkshire
YO15 2AL
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 09:30am – 3.00pm


80 Pasture Road
East Yorkshire
DN14 6HD
Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 09:30am – 3.00pm


100 Lairgate
East Yorkshire
HU17 8JQ
Tuesday and Friday, 10.00am – 4.00pm

Outreach Sessions

Outreach sessions are by appointment only.

Outreach sessions (pdf 50kb opens in new window)


You can make an appointment at your nearest East Riding of Yorkshire Council customer service centre:

Find your nearest customer service centre.

Top of page

Is there a cost for this service?

The services provided by the CAB are free of charge. However, on occasion they may suggest you make an appointment for advice from elsewhere, such as with a solicitor, which could involve a cost to you. 

The CAB are:

Independent - acting in the interest of clients, without influence from outside bodies.

Impartial - treating all clients with the same respect and same commitment.

Confidential - they will not pass on anything a client tells them - or even the fact that they have visited the CAB - without their permission.

Free - no-one has to pay for any part of the service they provide.

Top of page