Help us build a better website...

Test our new website


Money advice

What services do the Welfare Visiting Team provide?

The Welfare Visiting Team are available to help any local authority customers struggling with rent and/or council tax payments or repaying overpaid housing benefit.

We can negotiate affordable repayment rates and offer debt and budgeting advice. The team also carry out benefit checks to maximise our customers' income.

We offer a home visiting service or if you prefer, we can arrange an appointment at your local customer service centre.

We offer home visits to help vulnerable pension age customers apply for housing and council tax benefit.

Please send an enquiry about benefits online (opens in new window), and a benefit and debt advisor will be in touch with you.

Alternatively you can contact us on (01482) 394633.

If you would like help with budgeting, please visit our Benefit and Money Advice Service page.

Top of page

How do I open a bank account?

Basic bank accounts are offered by all high street banks and everyone is entitled to one. However only Barclays and Co-operative offer specialist accounts if you are an undischarged bankrupt. Credit Unions also offer a banking service.

Barclays basic current account (external website)

Credit Union website (external website)

Co-operative cashminder account (external website)

Top of page

What are priority debts and what are non priority debts?

Priority debts are your most important debts - ones which cover your essential costs of living. Such essential costs include mortgage/rent, secured loans, council tax, gas, water, electricity, court fines and child maintenance. Non-priority debts include items such as sky television, mobile phones and store cards.

Top of page

I cannot afford to pay my council tax/rent, what can I do?

You should contact the Welfare Visiting Team for confidential free advice and continue to pay as much towards your council tax/rent as you can until a visit or appointment can be arranged. 

To contact us please use the general enquiry option on the right hand side of the page.

Alternatively you can contact us on:

Telephone: (01482) 394633.


Top of page

I don't feel that I am able to accept my housing benefit payments and would like them to go directly to my landlord?

You should contact the Welfare Visiting Team who may be able to offer you help and support with accepting and managing your own payments or may be able to arrange for your payments to be sent directly to your landlord.

To contact us please use the general enquiry option on the right hand side of the page.

Alternatively you can contact us on:

Telephone: (01482) 394633.


Top of page

I have found myself in debt following the Christmas period, what can I do?

If you are struggling to meet repayments on credit cards or loans, then this could have an adverse effect on your income and affect your ability to pay other debts, such as your rent or council tax.  

If this is the case and you are worried that you will not be able to pay these, please contact either:

Welfare Visiting Team

We can visit you in your own home, carry out a full income and expenditure analysis and liaise with the relevant sections of the council on your behalf to make arrangements to repay the debts. These arrangements need to be both affordable to you and sustainable and will avoid court summons charges which are expensive and add what you owe. 

Rent and council tax are “priority” debts, so need to be dealt with as a matter of urgency. 

Debts such as credit or store cards are “non-priority” debts. Although we cannot make arrangements on these for you, we can give you advice and refer into organisations or charities that can; such as the Citizens Advice Bureau or StepChange. Please contact the Welfare Visiting Team on (01482) 394633 and we can discuss these with you.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

The months after Christmas are always the busiest time for the service when it comes to helping clients with debts and we provide both general and specialist level advice on all types of debts.  

The service is always free, confidential and impartial, and no charges are made, unlike many debt management companies. The Citizens Advice Bureau have been providing advice since 1939 and is an integral and trusted part of the East Riding communities.  

You can contact the CLA Network on 0300 3300888 or drop into one of their offices at:

100 Lairgate
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 0NP
Advice sessions are available:
Tuesday 10am - 4pm
Friday 10am - 4pm

5a Prospect Arcade
East Riding of Yorkshire
YO15 2AL
Advice sessions are available:

Tuesday 9am - 4pm
Wednesday 9am - 4pm
Thursday 9am - 4pm

80 Pasture Road
East Riding of Yorkshire
DN14 6HE
Advice sessions are available:

Monday 9:30am - 4pm

Wednesday 9:30am - 4pm 

Friday 9:30am - 4pm  

Top of page

What other organisations can provide financial advice?

There are a number of organisations who can provide useful advice and information for people who are experiencing financial problems:

StepChange debt charity

StepChange offers free debt advice, budgeting help and a range of debt solutions.

StepChange debt advice (external website)

Council tax and rent recovery

The recovery section collect council tax and council rent for East Riding of Yorkshire council. You can contact them on (01482) 394747.

Credit Union

The Credit Union can help with basic bank accounts, give access to low cost loans and offer easy ways to start saving. You can contact them by telephone (01482) 778753 or visit their website.

Credit Union - loans (external website)

Directgov website

This government website offers detailed and wide ranging information and advice on claiming benefits, job searching, further education, pensions and retirement planning, voting and much more.

Directgov website - money, tax and benefits (external website)

Financial services authority

The financial services authority is the regulator of financial services in the UK, they set the standards that firms must meet and take action against those that fail to meet the required standards.

The financial services authority (external website)

Housing benefit and council tax support section

The housing benefit and council tax support section administers claims for housing benefit and council tax support within East Riding of Yorkshire. They also process free school meal and clothing grant claim requests. For more information please visit the housing benefit web pages and choose the appropriate question.

Other available benefits

Money advice service

The money advice service provide free, clear and unbiased advice to help you manage your money.

Money advice service - your money (external website)

Tax credits

The official website for HM Revenue & Customs that makes claiming and finding out if you are entitled to tax credits easier. This site also offers help and advice on claiming child benefit and has a very useful tax credit calculator. You can navigate throughout the site to find the suitable section relating to your concern.

HM Revenue and Customs (external website)

Top of page

Rate this page
Satisfied with the content on this page or is there room for improvement? Leave a rating.